Monday, August 2, 2010

The Beauty of Imperfections

One of the things many of us enjoy so much are the imperfections, scars, wear and tear on an old or found treasure. These time-wrought changes add character and beauty.



The worn imperfect paint on our back porch door.




The crackled paint on the banister spindles.




As you can see, part of the top medallion on our banister is long gone. Still beautiful.




As you know, I am in love with the old sunporch. Here is a part I scraped and painted this summer. You can see the texture of remaining old paint under the new.




The trim and baseboards in this old house are chestnut. Irreplaceable. You can't get old slow-growth wood like this anymore.




The front porch columns have plenty of character too - 101 years worth!

Now, if I could only apply that philosophy to myself........

Have a beautiful Monday!

Carol

7 comments:

Vee said...

Ha! Yes, if only people grew more lovely with age. I don't think that they do...in fact, I know that they don't in physical beauty that is. All the same, a spirit can be more lovely still with each passing year. I enjoyed seeing some of the character of your home. Here's to becoming great characters!

CIELO said...

That's the loveliness of old cottages, doesn't it! And thanks for participating in "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" and letting us into your cozy home!

Hugs

Cielo

~~Carol~~ said...

I love all of those imperfections in our home too! I think they're charming, but my husband doesn't agree so much. This old house has earned every little chip and crack!
Happy Monday!
Carol

Leann said...

Those are some of my favorite things about our home that I love too! I wish that we had a sun porch.

Enjoy your well loved home!
Leann

Sue said...

There is so much character in old homes and it takes someone special to appreciate that. I'm sure restoring such a house is a lot of work, but the end result should be well worth it. :-)
Visiting from Cielo's party.
~ Sue

Kathy said...

I just love the character of older homes. There's a lot of imperfections that make it beautiful! It is a lot of work - our old lady isn't quite that old - 96 years - but, she's a lot of fun!
Hope you have a wonderful day,
Kathy

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What a lovely old home you have. A Lifetime Project, as it should be. A joy to create.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~