Saturday, August 21, 2010

Empty nest

As I become an empty nester, there are different emotions. An emptiness, a sadness and sense of ending. But there is also hope, a release, a looking forward. Yes, this is my Chickie....as graffiti...




My pot of purple coneflowers bloomed incessantly and profusely all summer. Yesterday I glanced at the pot and saw this:




Not much to look at today....but there is a promise of hope. Black-eyed Susans. Lots of them just starting out. At the end of August?!




Mister gave this hibiscus to me for Mother's Day a year ago. It barely survived the winter indoors, as Someone was using it for a climbing tree. It looked pathetic but kept blooming. This summer I trimmed most of the growth off, and it is now a much taller "tree", thriving at the new height it's reached which is hopefully higher than a young kitten will climb this winter. New life. Hope.




"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11




Find rest, O my soul, in God alone:
my HOPE comes from Him.
He alone is my Rock and my salvation;
He is my Fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my mighty Rock, my Refuge.
Trust in Him at all times, O people'
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our Refuge.

Ps 62:5-8



In the 40-some years that I have been a Christian I have seen His faithfulness again and again, even when I am not faithful. He is always present, even when I do not sense Him. He knows every detail of every situation and has it under control, and can be trusted with all of it.
I can trust Chickie to Him. After all, she is His, not mine.

Have a Hope-filled Sunday!
Carol

I am linking with Weekly Words to Live By with http://acottageindustry.typepad.com/a_cottage_industry/2010/08/words-to-live-by-week-180.html today!

5 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Dear Carol, you really are a very wise Mom to know these things. Regardless it is still difficult when they fly the nest. Thanks for the verses. bighugs♥olive

Vee said...

You will find yourself referring back to these things many times. Bittersweet time this empty nest experience, but we'd not have it any other way. There are so many good things to come...very good...excellent...delightful...beyond compare...and it all comes from that "empty" nest.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

When the nest empties it gives us time to replenish and rediscover ourselves... enjoy the quiet moments, they don't last:@)

marĂ­a cecilia said...

Hola Carol, we all will be sooner or later in the same position as you are and everyone will live it in different and same ways... be strong, blog a lot, garden in your beautiful garden, do as many things as you can to be inspired all day long. (I´m telling this to myself also)
Well, it`s been very nice meeting you.
greetings from Chile,
maria cecilia

Low Tide High Style said...

Hi Carol, I will be thinking of you this week as we both enter the empty nest phase of our lives together! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog,I truly appreciate it!

Kat :)