Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fireplace Mantel



I am joining with Faded Charm (fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/) for White Wednesday!





There's actually a good bit of white in our family room, now that I look at it. The bookcase, the chair I painted white a few weeks ago, and the fireplace mantel.




Let's focus on the mantel today.




The antique mantel fronts a gas fireplace.




This is the sole heating source for this room. It actually works pretty well! It is on the right side of the house as you face it, and was added on about 15 years ago by the previous owner. The original house is heated by steam radiators, the addition by gas fireplaces - one upstairs and this one, downstairs.




It has a lot of pretty detail. When we moved in, the top was a trimmed down hollow core door. Mister replaced it with a proper top and added the dentil molding and trim above the corbels.




I stacked some old books purchased for $1 each a few weeks ago on it, but I can't do a whole lot about the TV.




The paint was bubbled up from the heat right here. Mister scraped, sanded, primed and painted it and it has held up beautifully.
A fireplace is a cozy focal point in a room, and although I miss the crackling of real wood burning, it sure is a whole lot easier!

Have a wonderful White Wednesday!

Carol

7 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Carol, it is beautiful. Well done. olive♥

Robyn said...

That is SUCH a GORGEOUS MANTEL! Glad you shared it on WW!

Rebecca said...

It looks wonderful and I bet the heat feels great in the winter. You could maybe frame the TV! Looks like a great room!

Sue at Beach Bungalow said...

I'm jealous!

Sue
xo

Virginia said...

Love all the detail...Very pretty.
Blessings,
Virginia

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

What a Beautiful Mantel ~ The Perfect W.W. Post.....
Cheryl

tales from an oc cottage said...

Oh so I wish I had such a gorgeous fireplace!

m ^..^