Saturday, August 14, 2010

Late Summer



After a couple of weeks of no rain and very high temperatures, the rain has arrived.





Many blooms are spent. But they still hold beauty. I'm in no rush to deadhead. I want seeds spread for next year.




Some blooms are at their peak today. Like this rose I picked.





And this one. Still a lovely bud.




But even if I was blindfolded, I'd know it's late summer. The crickets are singing 24/7 now. I still hear the katydids at night, the locusts during the day. But the crickets will continue nonstop until the first couple of frosts have come and gone.




Every couple of months, I watch the season change. I watch the subtle nuances in the transition, and I mark the day it changes, a little different each year. It's fascinating and wondrous, and I am enchanted by it.

I join thetablescaper.blogspot.com/ to celebrate another Summer Sunday, while they last!

Have a delightful Sunday!

Carol


7 comments:

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

What a great porch you have! You still have blooms. My garden has lots of green. But otherwise the blooms have almost piddled out. Send some rain this way!
Brenda

Sarah said...

Carol, beautifully said! For us here in TX though we'll most likely not see those transition days till October. September here can be really hot.
Happy Sunday! ~ Sarah

The Tablescaper said...

Almost all of the blooms in my garden are spent. It's so sad to see Summer coming to an end. Let's enjoy it while we can.

Thanks for being a part of "Summer Sundays"!

- The Tablescaper

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

You have a very welcoming porch! There's still time to sit back and enjoy an iced tea:@)

Average Girl said...

My flowers are spent too, except my hanging baskets, as I cut them back and now they are growing crazily.... I love your porch... I have a covered wrap around porch myself and I love to just sit on it and watch the day go by! Lovely post!

Kathleen said...

I know it is coming, but we will still have summer here for another month at least! Sept is the most beautiful month in Southampton, I treasure it...quiet, crowds gone, but the beauty remains!
Your chair is gorgeous!

Jacqueline said...

Oh, summer is coming to an end. I have to run too fast in the summer for my taste. I want to stop and enjoy it, but kids have us running here there and everywhere. Oh, it never is as ideal as we would like.