Friday, August 13, 2010

Rocker



Look what came to live in my house today! I am posting this blog from this very rocking chair!




It's extremely comfortable. I've known this since I was a little girl. My paternal grandparents had a cabin that we would visit in the summer. This chair was one of 2 (different) chairs that sat in front of the fireplace.




It was a favorite of my great grandfather, I am told. When I was a child, I remember it being covered in red naugahyde. My dad had it refinished a few years ago, and then re-upholstered as it had originally been.





Look at the old springs! They give a nice rock.





Nice detail on the sides.





A whole lot of detail.....





....and some more....





....and another view.





Look at the upholstery detail on the back!





If you're about 3 pounds in size, it's a great place to lay down. Clarence is another of my favorite things.

I'm joining Laurie (bargainhungingwithlaurie.blogspot.com) for A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday!

Carol


7 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

What a beautiful rocker and great memories! I'm sure Clarence will bring many more-enjoy!

Leann said...

Oh how great that it came home to live with you. What a true family heirloom!

Leann

Olive Cooper said...

That is a beautiful family treasure. Thanks bunches for visiting and following me. I will do the same. hugs♥olive

GardenofDaisies said...

Looks like Clarence has found the best seat in the house!! :-) I'm so glad you have the old rocker from your grandparents place!! I love it when old pieces are handed down from one generation to the next. Have a wonderful weekend!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh it is a wonderful rocker, and especially wonderful because it belonged to your grandparents. The craftsmanship on it is beautiful. Clarence looks very comfortable in it! Thank you so much for linking up. Have a great weekend. laurie

Janet said...

Carol.
I love that chair and it is so nice to have such a strong family connection. I also love the color of that room...butterscotch or terra cotta...and the rug!

My new acquisition has been moved to the DR and looks better there. Now I have to stain the extra shelves to give myself some more room...maybe tomorrow!

Janet@Housepeepers

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

This chair is "PRICELESS"!!! and it does look SO comfy... How LUCKY you are to have your Grandfathers chair and all the memories of family it will store with you... I ALSO LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your home... it is GORGEOUS. Those Sears Homes were nothing but "THE BEST"!!! Lucky you to have that too...... Would love you to visit me, AND I need followers too...