Friday, September 17, 2010

Railings



I've posted pictures of the back of the house before.
Here is our deck. The lower lever goes into the family room, the upper level into the master bedroom. It was looking faded and mildewy, even. The new paint job on the house, by yours truly, made it look even worse.

First I scrubbed all the dirt and mildew off. I used a deck cleaner, but what really worked was me being down on hands and knees, scrubbing with a stiff brush, by hand, board by board.

Then it looked clean. Kinda bleached, but clean.

Then came my inspiration:




I stained and sealed the floors and steps. But the railing? I stained it in a solid white!




White stain! So I won't be scraping paint in a few years to re-do it. And, really, it seems to go better with the style of the house, doesn't it?




I started a little on the top deck before running out of stain. Just wanted to make my flowers pop and show off a little to Mister. He loves it!
So, I'll be finishing up this weekend. Exciting!

Have a Wonderful Friday.
Carol

Linking with My Romantic Home (romantichome.blogspot.com/) for Show and Tell Friday.

8 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wow! That is an amazing transformation. It looks SO like it belongs on that house, not like a "modern" deck railing and stairs. Beautiful. You've turned "deck" into "porch." Fabulous!

I can't believe how well white stain works. Again, beautiful!
Cass

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Wow! Super! Wonderful!

You are so lucky, that you have the gift of "seeing," how something will look, ahead of time.

And no more Word Verification! You are SWEET too! :-)

Jane said...

It looks GREAT!!! That's got to be back-breaking work to scrub a deck, board by board. I admire your tenacity and perseverance in getting it just the way you envisioned it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy some down time after doing all that staining.

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

Looks great...what a wonderful home you have :) I'm from PA as well!

It's Just Dottie said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I really like your lovely home and admire all the hard work you are doing to make it look just the way you want it,too.
Smiles,
Dottie

Esther said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. The white stain looks great on your deck. I would never have thought of that.

I love the simple little white house in your previous post too. Like you I would prefer that one over the 'grand' one.

Vee said...

Looks great! What a nice solution.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a lot of work, but so worth it! The railing stain was a great idea. Give yourself a big pat on the back!