Sunday, September 5, 2010

Trumpet Vine



I don't often take pictures of the back of the house, but here it is. Looking pretty good, now that ALL of it is yellow! You can see the flourishing trumpet vine climbing up to the patio roof.




It also grows up the front of the garage, and then makes a little arbor over the swing. See the seed pods hanging from it? Yep, it's late summer. That's what I am calling it, anyway.




The vines grow thick and gnarly, curling and climbing up the patio corner post.




A nice leafy bower, if you will, or leafy wall for privacy while dining al fresco.




And the swing is shaded by it, too.

Have a splendid and blessed Labor Day!

Carol





I am linking with Cielo at A House in the Roses (houseinroses.blogspot.com/) for Show off Your Cottage Monday. Thank you for hosting, Cielo!

5 comments:

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! OH, your trumpet vine is beautiful and it's so large and established! I had one when we lived in New Mexico and just loved it!
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Vee said...

I want to learn more about this trumpet vine... My mandevilla is an annual so I'm looking for a hardy perennial that doesn't care about sun. Gee, I don't ask for much. It sure looks great at your house!

~~Carol~~ said...

I've had my trumpet vine for about 8 years. First I had it growing in a whiskey barrel, on a trellis attached to the garage. Then I moved it into the yard about 5 years ago. This is the first year that it's ever bloomed, and now I'm scared! People keep telling me that I will have a million vines growing in my yard next summer, because of all the seeds. I'm very tempted to just chop it down. Today!
Happy Labor Day!
Carol

Kathy said...

I see a lot of those growing wild in the woods! You have a very fascinating mature one - love the swing!
Kathy

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Carol,
Beautiful trumpet vine. I love how it softens the edges of a home.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~