Sunday, September 26, 2010

Volunteer Begonia

When I was in high school, my dad built cork bulletin boards for my sister and me. My mom found a magazine clipping and stuck it on my board. It was a picture of a flower blooming from the crevice of a rock. When I saw my volunteer begonia growing in the silt that washes down our driveway to the front of the garage doors this year, I was reminded of the quote below the picture my mom gave me.




"The pursuit of excellence




in the face of adversity




is invariably matched




by the glory of the result!"




I took that clipping with me to college, to grad school and then past that. Thanks, Mom, for that wise inspiration!

And then we have these promises:




Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, Whom He has given us.
Rom. 5:3-5

and,

Fear not, for I have redeemed you,
I have summoned you by name;
you are Mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass throught the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

Is 42:1-3

Thank You, Lord, for keeping us.
Have a blessed Spiritual Sunday!
Carol

Please join me today, as I visit Charlotte and Ginger for Spiritual Sundays!

9 comments:

gail said...

Carol just beautiful words of inspiration!
thank you and thank you for your kind words over in my neck of the woods today....and, yes, I am with you....I never miss breakfast at a b and b!

Kaye - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Hi Carol, Thank you for a delightful Spiritual Sunday with some of my favorite encouraging and comforting Bible verses! What a sweet little Begonia and what a great example it is.

Susan said...

I love how nature speaks volumes to us if we will be look and be aware.

Whidbey Woman said...

I ditto the above statements. Thanks for this encouraging post.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

It sounds like your mother was a wonderful mom, what a great idea to do this.
Blessings,
Ginger

Susy said...

Absolutely love that quote. I can see why you carried it with you all those years, and it is still in your heart. A seed sown by your mother that has produced a harvest. Blessings.

And thanks for the visit to The Feathered Nest today (:

char72 said...

I love it when unexpected things like this "come up". Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Amen! Your Bible quotes are a great reminder of God's faithfulness and love towards His children.

Have a wonderful week, ~Ron

micey said...

very nice!