Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chummy and His Life Lesson



He was our prettiest cat. His name was Chumley, but we called him Chummy. Because we wanted him to be our friend.




Two years ago, almost to the day, a police officer found a small, emaciated kitten that had crawled up under his car hood looking for warmth. He was filthy, flea ridden and very weak. He couldn't even swallow.




Having never been handled, he screamed with fear. I had him bundled up with warm water gloves and blankets and we syringe fed him warm IV fluids by mouth. (Putting an IV in would surely have killed him.)




Within hours he was able to swallow, drink, eat. I cleaned him up and took him home. He slept for 3 days, awakening only to eat.
But he was very fearful. We could never pick him up. Occasionally we could pet him.





I loved Chummy very much. I was so thankful for the privilege of being able to save him. It was a great gift.
God showed me a great truth through Chummy. He showed me how He wants to extravagantly, exorbitantly, excessively bless us, but He also wants us to completely surrender to Him and trust Him. When we don't, we deny ourselves much blessing, joy, delight in dwelling intimately with Him.
Unless Chummy changed, I knew that because of his wild and fearful nature I could never treat him for any sort of illness. I couldn't get close enough to him. He would revert to his wild, fearful, defensive nature. And he did.

So I said goodbye to him this week.

I love you Chummy.

9 comments:

Mildred said...

He was a beautiful cat and you gave him a loving home. I am sorry for your loss - it is so difficult to say goodbye. All of us who have pets certainly understand your grief.

Average Girl said...

Brought a tear to my eye Carol... you are very kind, very very kind! So sorry for your loss.

Tracy
xxoo

Tracey said...

(((((Hugs))))) to you and your family... I know how hard it is to say good-bye to one of our "furry" family members. Take care...

Vee said...

Oh dear. He was a beautiful kitty. (Fioré is a feral cat. It's taken a lot of loving to get her to respond.)

Sue said...

I am so sorry Carol, he looks so precious, it always is so hard to say good by to our animals. I can so relate, we once had a kitty adopt us, and was the best cat we ever had.
Thanks for sharing this truth that God showed you, so awesome!
Hugs,
Sue

One Heart said...

I am so sorry to hear that, Carol. I know all too well how sad it is to lose a pet. There is so much wisdom in your words. God does have so many beautiful blessings for us, but too often we hold on to the wrong things which cause us to miss out on so much more. Great words.

Hugs and blessings your way.

gail said...

It is a wonderful feeling to save and nurture a sweet defenseless animal such as chummy. We have done this with dogs and there is nothing like it. I know you will miss him so much, and I feel for you!
gail
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

Chummy was a lucky guy to have been found and loved by your family. Very sorry for your loss.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Chummy was a beautiful cat and I am so glad he had you to take care of him. I am sorry he is no longer with you. What a lovely tribute to him and your words are especially beautiful.