Saturday, November 6, 2010

Airing of the Quilts!



I have several quilts, made by my great grandmothers. This one is the most exquisite.




My maternal great grandmother was a fantastic quilter.




The tiny perfect stitching is beautiful.




Here's a close up of the intricate detail!




A treasure!




Love looking at the pattern of stitching on the open white areas.




Here's a very warm wool quilt.




Isn't the backing a cozy pattern?




Another wool quilt. I keep both of the wool quilts in the family room. They are so warm!



The colors and pattern are beautiful.




The fabric backing this quilt is a soft plain white.




The final quilt is the most worn.




A totally different pattern.




It still has the delicate and beautiful, intricate stitching!

I keep my quilts out where I can see them every day, and use them. The wool quilts are especially appealing right now with the cooling weather and their warm colors.

Make sure to visit Dayle today for Airing of the Quilts!!! Great fun as we display our beautiful treasures! Thanks Dayle, for hosting this wonderful event!

And I certainly should link with Laurie for A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Carol

17 comments:

Dayle said...

Carol, what treasures you have. They are different from anything I've ever seen. I think that's what makes quilts so special. Each one has its own story to tell. I'm so glad you shared these today.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

These are beautiful...and they so go with your house...what timeless treasures.
I also join "Airing of the Quilts".
This was fun!

Ruth said...

Hi Carol... those are so beautiful!

Vee said...

What wonderful treasures you have in those quilts made by your own grandmothers. Thank you for sharing them.

Mildred said...

How very special to have these and wonderful that you enjoy using them as they were intended! They are works of art ~ beautiful.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Just beautiful! They're all very special-enjoy! Stop by, I'm having a Thanksgiving give-away:@)

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh how beautiful--thanks so much for sharing!!!
XO

Olive Cooper said...

Absolute treasures!

Kathleen said...

Your quilts are just gorgeous. I love the idea of an all wool quilt, that must be so cozy for winter. The workmanship in the first quilt especially, is indeed superb!

di said...

These are all so beautiful. What wonderful treasures from the past! And, I think it's great that you keep them all out to enjoy and use. :-)

A Gardner's Cottage said...

Beautiful...just so beautiful!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Carol, I didn't know about the airing of the quilts link up today. I can't believe I posted my quilts and didn't know about it. I adore old quilts, and you have some really pretty ones. How wonderful that some of them were made by your great grandmothers. I'm always amazed at how the fabrics used can make the same pattern look completely different. The colors in that first quilt are amazing. Thanks so much for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What wonderful treasures to have. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kay K said...

your airing of quilts is beautiful ..
Thanks for sharing with us

Diann said...

All of the quilts are wonderful but, that first one is just gorgeous!

LDH said...

The yellow star burst quilt is stunning! I just love the colors and the design. Just precious that it was your grandmothers. Beautiful!

Wonderful wool quilts as well. I know you enjoy a warm cozy winter with these treasures!

Kindly, ldh

Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) said...

What a beautiful collection of quilts! Thanks for airing them :)