Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie for Comfort Food

I've gotta tell you, I feel like I hit it out of the ball park this week in the kitchen.

First of all was the Pie.

Then, Wednesday night I came home and found Mom's Fabulous chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust on Allrecipes.com which garnered a similar reaction as the aforementioned pie.

Had to make it. Had to tweak it. The result was wonderful. My custom recipe follows:



Freaking Amazing Chicken Pot Pie

2 skinless chicken breasts

Boil chicken 20 minutes, shred. Reserve water.

1/4 cup butter
1-2 tsp dried onion
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups frozen vegetables
1/2 tsp celery seed

Saute butter and with vegetables, celery seed in large skillet. I microwaved the carrots to start them. I used frozen Italian green beans, corn, lima beans because that's what I had and like.

1/4 cup flour
1/4 - 1/2 tsp thyme

Add flour and thyme to vegetables until flour coats the vegetables and starts to fry.

2/3 cup half and half or milk
2 cups chicken stock

Add to vegetable mixture and stir til thickens. I used the water that I boiled the chicken in and 2 tsp bouillon, and 1/3 cup half and half, 1/3 cup milk.

Add shredded chicken to vegetable mixture.

Put mixture in a greased 2 liter/2 quart casserole dish.

Make drop biscuits, spread over the top.

Drop Biscuits:

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 T butter, softened
1 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients well. Cut in softened butter. Make a well in center, and pour in milk. Mix with fork until dough follows fork around the bowl.
Spread over the chicken mixture.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, until biscuits are fully done, golden on top. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

I've got to run over and check out Foodie Friday for more amazing recipes. Let's go!

Carol

9 comments:

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Yum!!! I love the name of your recipe, LOL. I will try this, and thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Vee said...

Stop! You're making some of us look bad. Now that chicken pie looks wonderful.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds great Carol! Love me some pot pie:@)

Olive Cooper said...

I agree with Vee. We had breafast for supper:( But seriously the pie looks fabulous Carol.

One Heart (Marcia) said...

Hi Carol, this is one of my absolute favorite meals. Yum! Sounds like a plan for this weekend. Now I'm hungry and it's past midnight. ;)

Just came by to let you know...drum roll...you are the winner of my blogaversary giveaway!!! Congratulations!! Yippie!!! I hope you'll enjoy Life:Beautiful Magazine as much as I do thanks to blogging. I'll be in touch through email.

Blessings!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh thanks for sharing...you have inspired me this week to make some type of pie...that would be the delight of my family. What great comfort food.

Kathleen said...

Sounds delicious, perfect for this weather!

From the Kitchen said...

This is my first time participating in Foodie Friday and I am "eating" up all the delicious recipes I'm finding. Chicken pot pie--the ultimate comfort food! And, I find a fellow kit house occupant! We have a 1921 bungalow and love it.

Best,
Bonnie

bj said...

I AM HUNGRY..