Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love Yourself



Love yourself. That can be a hard lesson. It's one thing to make sure you have enough to eat, somewhere to live, take care of your physical needs.

Up until a few years ago, I wasn't too good at loving myself. A friend's wise counsel opened my eyes. Some of the things I learned included:

1. To have compassion for myself. I don't have to do everything, every day. The to-do list will still be there tomorrow. If I don't get the dusting done today, that's ok. If there is an event I really don't want to attend, I can decline it. Saying "no" to something doesn't make me a bad person.

2. My mind was always racing with negative thoughts about myself. I thought if anyone ever got to know the real me inside my head, I would be found sorely lacking and unloveable. Being compassionate to myself and learning to see myself as God sees me, and blessedly, how my husband sees me transformed my mind.

3. Thinking about good things, like the Bible instructs us, transformed me. Instead of the negative thoughts racing through my head, there is peace.

4. I used to do the right thing because I was afraid of negative consequences. Now I want to do the right thing because I love Jesus. It's a totally different thing!

As I have learned to love myself, I am better at loving others. I truly love my co-workers, clients, fellow bloggers. It has transformed and blessed me. I am living God's love!

Leviticus 19:18 NIV
" 'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:34 NIV
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Matthew 19:19 NIV
honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Matthew 22:39 NIV
And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

Mark 12:31 NIV
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Mark 12:33 NIV
To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Luke 10:27 NIV
He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Romans 13:9 NIV
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Galatians 5:14 NIV
The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

James 2:8 NIV
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.


Make sure to visit Charlotte and Ginger for Spiritual Sundays!

10 comments:

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

A very nice post. We have new neighbors moving in next door. They have seven kids. LOTS of neighbors to love! So your post is very apropos. :D

Have a great rest of the weekend!

xoxoxo,
Ricki Jill

Whidbey Woman said...

What a nice thing to write about for Valentine's Day! I came over from Spiritual Sundays and sure was blessed.♥

Saleslady371 said...

Wow, this list is great. Knowing Biblical truths changes our perspectives on everything, how we see others and ourselves. You are a blessing!

hip-chick said...

This is such a good post. We must first learn to forgive and love ourselves before we can truly forgive and love others.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Great, great post...what a good twist on Valentine's Day...as I prepare for a Birthday party for the 10 of us and not feeling too great...this makes it all come back into balance...so every toilet might not be clean today and every detail just right...we are family and we will all survive.
Thanks so much for this heart felt post as I renew my thinking!

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

Wonderful post. Why does it take some of us years to discover this truth. You were blessed with a wonderful friend to give you this loving truth. Mine was discovered after turning it over to the Lord, not trusting and taking it back, over and over again. Until I finally listened with all my heart. Happy Valentines Day to a special loving lady!!

sarah said...

here from SS. Good advice shared in your post...Happy Valentines

Charlotte said...

What a great post. If we don't love ourselves, we can't love anybody else. These are wonderful suggestions. And the scriptures certainly make the point. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Happy Valentine's Day
God's Love is the best!
deb

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Amen to that. It's so important to see yourself as God sees you; beautiful, loved, worthy, forgiven!