Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Using up the Ricotta


(Yum number 1, a darling Easter basket)
If you remember, last week I made a Ricotta Cheesecake.
Mister and I were pretty happy with it, and we'll serve it again at Easter.

But I had about a cup of ricotta left over. I checked on allrecipes.com, and tried to come up with something that would only require one cup of ricotta.

Nothing doing. I leafed through one of my favorite cookbooks, The Cake Mix Doctor, and, inspired by the Basic Yogurt White Cake, I came up with this:



One Recipe, Many Cakes (Yums 2, 3, and 4)
one box white cake mix
one box instant vanilla (sugar and fat free) pudding
one cup Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
one generous tsp or more of vanilla
(I love vanilla, so just tip it in!)
about 1/4 or a little less sugar
(I just drizzled it in the bowl a bit)
4 eggs

Toss it all in the mixer and blend it up for a while. Two or three minutes.

Divide between 3 smaller loaf pans that have been oiled and floured.

Then,
In one pan I mixed in some mini chocolate chips.
In one pan I zested an orange and mixed it in.
In the final pan I added nothing, but as you see, the possibilities are endless.

Bake at 350 degrees until done. The ricotta makes it bake a lot slower. Mine took about 30-35 minutes. I kept checking.

The beauty of this recipe is that for Mister and I, 2 empty nesters, we end up with 3 smaller cakes rather than one big one. We can freeze the extra ones and have them later.

Hopefully this will also help me, with my passionate sweet tooth, to control how much cake I am eating at once.
I'll have to let you know on that one!




(Yum number 5, a bone china cat mug just given to me)

Have a wonderful day!

Joining Laurie for Yum-Top 5!
Carol

13 comments:

Vee said...

Love the Cake Mix Doctor and your recipe sounds as if it would be a good moist cake. Yes? I can almost smell the yumminess from here.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Great idea Carol! I always like making the portions/recipes smaller since the kids are on their own. Cute kitty cup:@)

Debbie said...

I think my mom has the Cake Mix Doctor. I need to ask her. This sounds like a huge YUM to me too. I need to go find your ricotta cheesecake recipe. I don't remember that from last week. Of course, I had a horrible week last week so I can't remember much of anything.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

That mug is soooo cute! Your recipe sounds pretty yummmm too. I love the Cake Mix Doctor book.

Linda O'Connell said...

My sweet tooth is craving way too much. Cut kitty mug!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Yum-O... freeze? Girl, I would eat one, Mr. M. would eat the other, and we'd fight over the third. LOL!

Sounds SO good. Thanks for sharing with us...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mildred said...

Love the mug and oh, the cakes look so good. A slice with morning coffee would be very tasty!

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

YUM~YUM~YUM~YUM~YUM ~ Love your yums. I was so excited to see that you joined us this week and with some fabulous YUMS. Great mug and that cake sounds fabulous ~ ENJOY!

no spring chicken said...

This recipe looks wonderful. I especially love the way you make each one different! I, like any other NORMAL human being prefer chocolate to anything else... but it is nice to occasionally have some variety. Especially since my husband is not NORMAL!

Leann said...

Oh what yum! Love the idea for using the left over ricotta!

I often quick cook veggies and pasta and then just toss with ricotta and some pasta water and a little Italian seasoning.

Leann

Mary said...

I really like the mug but I also love the suggestions you've made for using leftover ricotta.
I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Saleslady371 said...

How clever are you! Did you like the taste? I would think the cheese would make the cakes moist. I love sweets so I love this post. I made a batch of peanut butter cookie dough a few days ago and try not to bake up too many cookies at one time for the same reasons!

CAS said...

Great timing with this recipe. I made pizza Friday night, using some ricotta & have just about a cup left. I agree about using the smaller loaf pans. I have a Pampered Chef 4 loaf stoneware pan that works perfectly. Always have one or two loafs in the freezer. That size thaws quickly, too.
CAS