Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old House Gardening



I finally got to pick up some pansies and pot them this week. Lovely, aren't they? I love how they speak of spring in their simple old fashioned way. Beautiful in simple old terracotta pots.




An old fashioned garden along the driveway is full of perennials.
Right now the daffodils are blooming. The naked ladies are leafed out. In the summer when the foliage is long gone, the leafless stalks with beautiful scented flowers will appear - hence the name naked ladies.




I cleared out a corner of the old garage for an old fashioned potting bench. Lots of shelves. Lots of counter space. I'm excited!




I also laid some brick! The cement slabs were lying here so I pulled them out and laid down brick that I had just taken up elsewhere.




Big slabs of cement. Tiny bricked area. Pot wrestled and dragged over to sit on brick.




My kind of exercise!




You can see the curve around this bed where I dug out the brick. I transplanted all the plants elsewhere. We are going to change the lines of this bed and build a wall around it this year. I'm favoring a stacked stone look.




Along the garage the spiderwort, daylilies, poppies are appearing.




The bricked circular garden in the middle of the yard is chock full of daylilies and naked ladies.

Wishing you all a wonderful spring weekend! Joining Laurie and Debra for their fun parties! Be sure to visit them, too!

Carol

18 comments:

Shirley said...

Dear Carol,
Wow, you have been working out..and your garden and landscape show's it's beauty.. I adore the pansies in the old fashion pots. You made them look so beautiful..nice job..

Mildred said...

Everything is looking lovely! Can't wait to see your daylilies blooming. It's nice to be able to enjoy some outdoor gardening time again.

Angel said...

What a hard worker you are! Those pansies are so lovely in the terra cotta pots and I think your stacked stone idea is great.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

you got a workout today...just love pansies!

Sue said...

It seems you and I both were out in the garden today, and looks like you got a workout like I did. Everything looks great and I know when you finish it will be even prettier.
Enjoy.
Sue

Vee said...

How's your back this morning? Everything is looking great and I'm glad that you eked out a potting bench for yourself. I've always wanted one, but I think that I'll buy a cheapie or get my hubby to build a cheapie for the yard where it won't matter if I make a mess.

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

WHat a luxury to have a potting bench! Very nice. I can't wait to see your garden this summer!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Potting benches are so much nicer than sitting on the ground trying to pot plants!! Everything looks great and I just love you home!

Leann said...

Oh what fun - I love to dig in the dirt! and pansies have a great sweet smell. Have fun!

Leann

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

love your pansies!

The name of your blog caught my eye as I once did a report while on my way to graduate with a degree in interior design on kit homes.

Lucky you! :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks great Carol! I love the stacked stone walls too-Happy Weekend:@)

Kay K said...

I love working outside and looks like you do too !!!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I so agree..."my kind of exercise"...give me that every day instead of working out with weights and pounding the street with walking. It all looks great and so enjoyable.

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! You've been one busy girl! I love the pansies in those pots! Doesn't it feel good to dig in the dirt?
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

CAS said...

Looks like you've been very busy & it's paying off big time! Everything is looking just beautiful.
CAS

Sonia said...

This is my first visit to your blog! What a lovely picture of your home in the header!! Just gorgeous...along with those sweet pansies..some of my favorite flowers. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Bloomers

Debra@Common Ground said...

Your home is just so wonderful. Having all the great space to plant some beautiful flower beds. Love the brick work you created. Hard work, but really wonderful, thanks so much for linking up with VIF, hugs Debra

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Carol, you've been a busy lady. Oh, how I'd love a place for a potting bench. Your space looks wonderful. Your daffs look so pretty lining the drive, and your brckwork turned out great. I'm so glad the weather is nice enough to be outside. Thank you for linking up. Hope you're having a great weekend. laurie