Monday, June 27, 2011

Just Generally Besotted


There's just no hope for it. I can't stop looking at these daylilies.



To me, they are the quintessential summer flower. I see them along the roadside, in drifts along the fields, and in my own yard.



Beautiful, beautiful.



In real life, the geraniums are so red, it seems that they would stain your hands if you touched them.



The dahlias have so many petals per bloom that it's unreal.



The butterfly bush has taken off again this year, as usual.



And there are hundreds of volunteer cleome or spiderflower everywhere!



I just completed a successful project that has brought me great delight.
I met this feral half grown cat on Labor Day weekend. So frightened. He'd never interacted with humans before.



After a few weeks of feeding, I persuaded him to move across the street, to our back porch. He was delighted to be a Porch Cat. 
We have 4 cats and 5 would be too much. So, after we became fast friends, I took him to work, neutered, vaccinated, and dewormed him, and made sure he was negative for feline leukemia.



Right now, I call him Jasper. But we will find him the perfect home. He is happy, content, relaxed and boarding at work until then.
And my little Jackson?? He is delighted to resume his rightful place as Household Kitten.

Wishing each of you a wonderful week. Are you besotted? And for what? Joining Jean for Bloomin' Tuesday, and Susan for Outdoor Wednesday!

Carol

21 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

looks like the light is shining on Jasper! He is adorable, and I congratulate you because it is so hard to work with a ferale cat.

Your flowers are so pretty! I weeded yesterday around the daylilies...so today they thanked me by blooming!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Jasper has a very worldly look about him! I'm sure you'll find him a great home Carol, that's so nice:@)

Margie said...

your flowers are beautiful ... and Jasper is a sweetie ... i love the last picture with the light shining on him!

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

I like day lilies, too :D Pretty flowers!

Olive Cooper said...

I love day lilies too and planted six more yesterday. Have you ever grown butterfly bush from cuttings? I read it can be done and I might give it a try. You are a wonderful cat mama!

Mildred said...

Jasper is just like my childhood cat. Thanks for taking such good care of him.
Glad to hear that Jackson is enjoying his new position!
Your variety of flowers are so pretty. Mama loved cleome. I've never grown dahlias but yours are so nice. Have you seen many butterflies in the garden yet?

Vee said...

I, too, love the common day lily and am very excited for when they will bloom. Just one has thus far. They are striking en masse.

Sweet little feral kitty. I certainly adore ours. She has been a very good kitty and, though she still doesn't enjoy being held after all these years, she loves to be near us.

Enjoy your beautiful posies!

Sara said...

I'm so jealous of your flowers. It's a good think I'm so much better with animals than I am with plants!

Cindy said...

I am totally besotted with my plants and flowers, I walk around my yard admiring my gardens many times a day. I am perplexed as to what is climbing one of my plants and breaking it and leaving it feces behind! I want to know who or what is doing that!!!
Well, did I answer your question?
Your feral kitten is so sweet! I would love to have a porch cat.
Hugs, Cindy

Linda O'Connell said...

Your cat looks like my brother's feral find who adopted HIM. Your flowers are incredibly gorgeous.

Debbie said...

Those orange day lilies would be a very favorite summer burst of color for me, too. They remind me of my grandmother since she had them blooming at her place. Mine never even came up this year because of the drought (and because I didn't exactly help out by watering well...)

Kate said...

I love your day lilies...and your adorable kitty!

Rachel @ A Cupcake for Moose said...

Your flowers are just lovely Carol! We had a feral cat named Boots growing up. He ended up being the sweetest cat we ever had...except he never did learn to retract his claws. Ouch! Hope Mr. Jasper finds the perfect home! *hugs*

Jean said...

Gorgeous blooms! Love the dahlia. No day lilies oopen here yet. Jean

Deb said...

Love your daylilies and dahlia. And isn't it wonderful when volunteer plants decide to increase your flower power?! :)

Shelia said...

HI Carol! Your flowers are so beautiful. I adore day lilies but they don't seem to like my soil here! :(
Oh, how sweet of you to be so patient to get the little kitty to come closer! I do hope he'll find a wonderful loving home.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

perennialgardener said...

Yep those Daylillies are something to marvel at, so bright & cheerful! :)

Becca's Dirt said...

Love your hot pink dahlia. Well it looks hot pink. I love when plants volunteer to come back in my gardens. I feel like I did something right.

no spring chicken said...

It's a good thing that I don't live closer... I'd be tempted to beg for the kitty!

It looks like you have way more blooming than I do, just beautiful!

Blessings, Debbie

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your lilies are gorgeous and your cat is so cute. Hope you find him a good home.

Leann said...

Jackson looks so content. We have a bit of a feral cat problem in our neighborhood. There are about 15 cats and kittens running around. We (the neighborhood) have live traps set, but still no takers. I wouldn't mind one living on our porch, but this is awful. I'm afraid they're going to get hit and continue to multiply.

Love the flowers!
Leann