Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Simpler Time


After the storm passed week before last, leaving a small group of 10 or so homes in our neighborhood without power, internet, phone, cable, for a couple of days, I was thinking about what it was like 102 years ago when this house was built.  No TV, computers, clamor.  No AC, the windows wide open all the time.



Things were less convenient.  But the simple pleasures were still there.  Just like they are now.



See all the tee shirts hanging on the railings?
Just before the power went out, I had the bright idea of taking almost all of Mister's tee shirts and washing them in a special, 3 hour long, "Stain" cycle in the washing machine.  Three hours?  A bit excessive, perhaps, but I thought it would be worth a try.
Didn't know we'd lose power.....and the washing machine would be......
Locked.  Shut.  Couldn't open it.  I hoped there was still some soap in there to help slow the mildew.
And that Mister could come up with some shirts to wear.



But we do have a generator.  My parents gave it to us when they moved.  It's very, VERY loud.  We used it to finish the wash cycle after a day or so.  Then Mister took all his shirts out and spread them around the place to dry.  The super long stain cycle worked, he said!

The garage (above) got a lot of water running through it, so we opened it up to air out.



The little lamps that Mister set up around the house so we could see at night gave off a cosy light....in the kitchen, in the family room.



My mom gave me this dahlia for Easter.  So pretty!  I read that rabbits do not eat dahlias, so I got some more and put them out front.

So....the simple time of no power is over.  For us, it wasn't too bad, because of the generator.
We did turn off the generator at night, for the neighbors' sake.  However, when I got up to get ready for work Saturday-morning-on-a-holiday-weekend-at-5:45AM (gulp) to fire that baby up, I did feel a twinge of guilt!

Linking up with Cielo for Show off Your Cottage Monday!
Have a wonderful day!
Carol

9 comments:

Mildred said...

When John and I moved in with mother after daddy passed away, they had a generator. The first time it came on - I sat straight up in the bed - IT WAS SOOOOOO LOUD! I have never had dahlias - they are so pretty!

Cindy said...

Hi Carol,
I enjoyed the story about the long stain cycle, I'm glad it worked, at least. It would have been pretty sad if your Mister had ended up with mildew stains on top of the others.
I love to hang clothes outside to dry, I wish I had a clothes line.
I am so glad I don't have to wash my clothes by hand, or stoke a wood-stove in the summer time, so that I can cook. I have lived in Northern BC in some very remote places where I have done both of these things, and I don't miss them! I was in my early twenties and I had the energy to do them, don't know if I would today.
Your kitchen looks so pretty in the soft glow of the lamp. Very pretty floor and cupboards.
Hmmm...if rabbits don't like dahlias, then I should probably get those for my patio.
Hugs, Cindy

Vee said...

Perhaps your neighbors were lulled to sleep by the sound of that generator. :D

Now see, things like this bug me. Since when are we locked out of our own washing machines? Gheesh. Glad to know that the soaking worked.

no spring chicken said...

Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure. I'm often guilty of romanticizing a time without electricity but you put a bit of perspective on it. I really do like my modern conveniences!

Blessings, Debbie

Debbie said...

I'm still stuck on the part about your cool washing machine which has a stain cycle and a lock. I feel as if I'm practically using a wash board compared to you.

As long as it's not too hot or cold, and you have a generator, a power outage is bearable, I guess. I think what made yours pass quickly for you was your positive attitude!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Funny about the load of wash, that would be my luck! Glad things are back to normal for you now Carol:@)

JudyBug said...

I so understand about the generator. Here is LA, we were out for 4 days from a tornado. Of all times, the generator would run about 30 min. and quit...and then again...and again.

Love your house! The hardest part for me back "in the days" would be no air conditioning!

Olive Cooper said...

We do have many things our grandparents did not have. We rough it a bit at both our houses. At the old house we have no a/c in the main rooms and no heat upstairs. At the yellow house we have no dryer and I dry clothes on the deck! We also do not use a microwave and I have become used to that. You just adjust. You don't miss what you don't have. hugs♥O

Sue said...

When we have had to go back to simpler times for the same reasons as you, I really learned to appreciate, my conveniences, especially running water. I never knew how many times I turned on the faucets.{lol} I can remember my grandmother having a hand pump in her kitchen.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue