Friday, July 15, 2011

My Vintage-Simple-Spacious Bath


Today we'll visit my favorite bathroom.  Our house is 102 years old, and this is the bathroom original to the house.








The tub, faucet, window and radiator are original.  As are the plaster walls.



It is lovely to soak in the tub and see all the greenery of the trees through the window.



We did install a new vanity and picked up the little dresser for a song.




The print is a favorite of mine. A summer island scene from the Thousand Islands that I bought 20-some years ago.





New vanity.




The mirror was here when we moved in.  It's old, but I do not know its history.



Original wall sconce.






Can you appreciate the size of this linen closet??? It's a walk in, lovely old floors, 3 sides of shelves. This is a terrific feature and I keep it neat and organized because I love it so. We even store our vacuum cleaner in here!

So that's it. Since becoming an empty nester, I've taken over this bathroom. Someday we'll redo the floor. But I enjoy the simplicity of it, the lines, the restful, quiet space of it.

Thanks for coming on the tiny tour! and have a wonderful weekend. It's glorious out this morning!

Carol
Joining:
Cindy for Show and Tell Friday
Debra for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Cielo for Show off Your Cottage Monday

18 comments:

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! What a lovely bathroom! I love your tub and the space you have in your bath is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this.
B a swetie,
Shelia ;)

Mildred said...

Good Day Carol, What a lovely bath. Love the view out the window and the tranquil artwork. That closet is divine. Do you use baskets to organize smaller items inside the closet?
Glad you are having a pretty day. We had rain overnight and it is threatening this afternoon!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I am a purest when it comes to old houses...so I am so glad yours is original. I cringe when I see them on HGTV destroying old tile etc.

That wall sconce is amazing and I wish my 1903 house had the tub, and I know my Grandparents house had one, it is gone now though...darn!

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

I love al the original features in your home :D

Comeca Jones said...

That tub and vanity are great together!

Tracey said...

Love it... absolutely love it!! Unfortunately our century home didn't have any of the original bathroom fixtures left in it when we moved in 23 years ago :^( Thanks for sharing your beautiful, serene room with us!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love your pretty bathroom pieces and the original touches- how charming!:)

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Oh, Carol....a nice LONG soak in that tub would be heaven :)

Thanks for the peek :)

Blessings!
Gail

Vee said...

A lovely bathroom. My bathroom in my large 1840 home was created from a bedroom so there was a lot of room, even a nice closet. I suppose that your home may certainly have had a bathroom originally. Is it possible that it didn't and this room was once a bedroom, too?

Cindy said...

What a sweet little bathroom, you couldn't help but feel relaxed and calm after spending time in that wonderful old bathtub! I love it.
Hugs, cindy

Debbie said...

You fit the vanity to the vintage beauty of that room so well. I've long wanted a claw foot tub. They are so romantic to me.

Jane said...

I absolutely love that bathtub! I'll bet that it's great for a long soak!

Jane

Saleslady371 said...

I can really see myself in that bathtub and like you, I would be staring out soaking in all the greenery as well as soaking in the tub! Physical and spiritual experience here!

Thanks for stopping by. It's hard to get back after vacation!

Love,
Mary

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Just love the character of your house...maybe I will have one of those when we hit the empty nest...which means we will probably be the same age as the house. LOL

Love this bathroom.

Debra @ Common Ground said...

I love the simplicity and relaxing atmosphere of your bath. A claw foot tub with a view...sounds wonderful. thanks for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

CAS said...

So lovely and serene. Love that tub!

Shanda said...

I love the red floors in the bathroom as they really ofset the white.

SavannahGranny said...

Hi Carol, So glad that so many original elements remained. You did a beautiful job restoring this room. Ginger