Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Inside the Cottage

(click on pictures. not sure why, but the Cottage looks so much better with sharper detail when you do ;))


As you know, we vacationed at Pretty Bird Cottage, which I found here.  Come with me, and I'll give you the tour of the inside!
Pretty Byrd Cottage is the result of a vision of Cathy Tignor. She and her husband, Rhet, live in the plantation house of Evergreen, a home built in 1766. She bought the estate house 30 years ago and restored it to its former splendor.
Several years ago, she had a 3 acre pond dug and Pretty Byrd Cottage built on the island in the pond's center. The Cottage is an example of exquisite craftsmanship in design, function and delight! Nothing is "fake", it's all real, beautiful hardwoods - from the clapboard siding and gingerbread, to the floors, cabinets and built-ins.



As we enter the front door, we see the kitchen.  Most of the cottage is in yellow and blue.  The yellow countertops are a fun touch! An inviting tablescape welcomes us.




The kitchen is small, but very functional.  Cathy Tignor brought her outstanding talent in design and real estate to the cottage when she envisioned it for visiting family.



I have never seen a fridge so thoroughly stocked!  Let me tell you a few of the things inside:  milk, OJ, eggs, croissants, muffins, ham, bacon, several cheeses, bread, English muffins, butter, all condiments, a beautiful German chocolate cake, grapes, apples, oranges, honeydew melon, strawberries, blueberries, crackers, cookies, bananas, yogurt...I left things out, but I think you get the idea.



The living room is to the right of the door.  Beautiful wood paneling, built-in bookcases, gorgeous furniture.  The fireplace is wood-burning, 2-sided.  The other side of the fireplace is in the bedroom!



The living room's generous bay window looks over gardens and the footbridge to the island. Anyone up for tea??




A coffered ceiling in the dining room is elegant. Custom paneling under the windows and around the room adds its beauty. The center piece of the paneling under the windows was rescued from an old house that was torn down.
There is a master bedroom suite and a sleeping loft.  We'll save those delights for another day!

Joining Marty for Tabletop Tuesday and Sandi for Tea Time Tuesday today.
Have a beautiful day,
Carol

16 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm so behind that I just saw the outside. Now, I get to see the inside. It's just enchanting,and I love the ceilings. My favorite is the area over the kitchen table. It's like a fairy tale.

A Few Pennies said...

Love that cottage--my favorite is the fireplace with bookcases--all the gorgeous moulding--sigh!

Mildred said...

I agree with Debbie, it looks like a fairy tale cottage. Every detail is fabulous. I did enlarge the photos. That is the biggest and prettiest crepe myrtle by the front entrance! Can't wait to see more.

Snap said...

What a wonderful cottage! Fairytale!!! Happy Tea Day!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Wow, so pretty! Love the kitchen (and yellow:@)

Linda O'Connell said...

Be still, my heart. I could run away and live here forever.

Shelia said...

What a lovely place! I love that sweet kitchen. The fabric on the window is the same fabric I used to have in my kitchen long ago.
That's amazing how the fridge was stocked! What a wonderful place to stay.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Comeca Jones said...

What a beautiful place.

Cindy said...

That cottage is absolutely adorable!!! You are so lucky to have found it and stayed there. It would be such a sweet place to stay, I'm glad you got to.
Hugs, Cindy

Vee said...

Oh my! That place is wonderful and the kitchen is so cheery and bright. Love the yellow countertops. You mean you didn't stock the fridge? It came that way? Wow.

mississippi artist said...

What a beautiful place!I mean who wouldn't want to stay there?

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Such a fabulous house and the interiors are wonderful. I have been fascinated with these Sears homes for years. Unreal. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

How lovely. I know you must have had a fantastic time! :D I am getting caught-up on reading your blog today!

xoxoxo,
Ricki Jill

Bunny Jean said...

I just couldn't wait to see the inside! I must say that I wasn't disappointed! Nosiree!

I can believe that the fridge was so well stocked!

Oh, to go there for the weekend... all by myself even, would me heaven.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Carol,
I am sorry I'm so late getting around to your post. We have been away and I'm trying to get caught up with my visits.

What a darling cottage to spend some time in! It indeed looks like a fairy tale cottage! I would have loved to have spent some of our vacation there. Very lovely and so cozy too. Love the gingerbread trim and the waterside view. Thanks so much for sharing this with Tea Time. I've enjoyed it very much.

Blessings,
Sandi

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is a great find, Carol! Oh, how cute! You must have had a lovely time. Thanks for sharing.

XO,

Sheila :-)