Friday, September 9, 2011

Dodging the Bullet


When Mister and I married 10 years ago, we moved into this home.  It was pretty ugly - yellow brick, dark brown T1-11 siding, cement stoop with loose wrought iron railing, enormous evergreen bushes.  Mister had the vision for the transformation of this mid-century rambler. 
It sits on over an acre of land, with 150 feet of creek frontage.
Creek frontage.  That's where the dodged bullet comes in.



We drove the couple of miles to the creek house today to see what was going on. There were lots of U-Hauls filled with belongings and parked on higher ground.  They are being used.......




Because of this.  Yes, that is our old mailbox.  The back of the house and the garage are surrounded by water. 


We went through flooding like this with Hurricane Ivan in 2006.  It's one of the reasons I wanted to move.  (Besides the fact that I love, love, love! old homes!)



Standing up against the house across the street......



and now, looking back at our former house.




Mister built me the little garden surrounded by a picket fence. I had raspberries, strawberries, herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, and beans. Things have gotten overgrown in the past 5 years that we have been gone.

The new owner grew up along the creek and is used to flooding. That's a good thing.

And me?...I'm so thankful to be high and dry. Some lapses in electric service, but we can work with that!

Have a blessed and wonderful weekend.  Hey, I just looked outside.....and the sun is shining! 

Carol

12 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Oh no I do hope the new owners have flood insurance. The Sears home is much prettier.

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

WOW Carol -- how awful!! Hoping for a quick dry-out for those folks and glad to hear the Sears house is high and dry :)

Blessings!
Gail

~~Carol~~ said...

Oh Carol, I'm so glad you don't live there anymore! I don't know how anyone can get used to that, but you'd have to lock me away until it was all cleaned up. Besides, I think you were born to live in that beautiful Sears house!

Cozy Little House said...

Wow, how devastating that would be. Here in Texas we need rain bad, bad, bad.
Brenda

Patti said...

And it would be just my luck to have a bunch of memorobilia packed away in boxes in the basement...and I would lose them all. That's a good lesson to not store things in the basement, as you never quite know how high the water will go.

I'm glad you're high and dry now.

Blessings,
Patti

Linda O'Connell said...

Natural disasters are terrible. Glad you are on higher ground, but I would love to have a place with water outside my door. The price we pay.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh my...floods and rain up there and fires down here...we need the rain...over 600 burned down near my home town...people are dealing with so much all over the country

Debbie said...

Yay for sunshine! I'm glad you live on higher ground too, especially since I get to peek in the windows of your Sears Kit Home.

I hope the area gets a lasting break.

Vee said...

Cute little house and I'm sure you did a lot with it inside and out, but high and dry is better than flooded out any day. Good call!

Maple Lane said...

The flooding is terrible. So happy that you are dry and safe where you are.
Last weekend's tornado came within 1 mile of our former house. Lots of destruction all around but thankfully, none to our former house and garden.

Saleslady371 said...

So glad for your promotion to higher grand in view of this flooding. Have a great weekend!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Now, THAT is terrifying. My heart has gone out to all who faced flooding.

XO,

Sheila