Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Specially Good Dreary Day

 If I am home and in nesting mode, I don't mind a dreary day.  Such was the case today.

 I was up early, ate, went to the gym, after which I always feel quite righteous.

Came home, showered, took my in-laws for our weekly grocery run.  (Snowmen salt/pepper/sugar/creamer in the living room)

 Put away the groceries.  It was raining by then.  I noticed that the Baby (aka Zeek) was in particular need of snuggle time. 

 I got my laptop, phone, Kindle, and obliged.  We both got a nice relaxing, snuggle time.  Complete with nap.  Aaaaah.  To actually have some time to do Nothing on one's day off is indeed a luxury.

 Obviously, I am quite smitten with a certain sparkly cloche.  And the candlesticks scored at a shop last summer.  Smitten, I tell you!

The joy for the season comes from my Hope.  My Hope that my Saviour provides.  His peace that passeth understanding.  His Joy of salvation.  After 40 plus years, that Joy has not dimmed, that Love has not faded.......... that Joy is year round.

To offset the dreary weather, chili seemed like a good idea.  I think Mister will be pleased when he comes in the door.  A welcoming hot dinner, made with love.
Making a home for my family is one of my greatest joys.

In the kitchen, making chili, I stood by the trash throwing something out and looked at the old imperfect plaster on the kitchen wall of this old house.  Home.  Established.  A physical refuge.  A retreat.  Here for almost 103 years now. 
It looks much bigger in photos than it really is.  It's not a big house at all.
It's an expression of our hearts.
What a feeling of gratefulness for our home, what joy in the blessings of home.

Wishing each and every one of you a blessed and cozy Rednesday!
Carol

13 comments:

LV said...

So nice of you to share your home filled with love. I enjoy visiting and learn there is someone else that enjoys the simple things of life. Merry Christmas.

~~Carol~~ said...

I think those dreary days can be really nice, and it sounds like you had a good one! Nothing like a pot of chili bubbling on the stove and a cuddle with the kitty. And I see that you know the joys of plaster walls firsthand. Gotta love it!
Happy Christmas and Merry REDnesday!
Carol

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like a perfect day Carol-enjoy:@)

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I am smitten with your cloche myself!
aaww..I have plaster from 1896 and 1903! such character. My friends thought my house was too big for me when I was buying it..until they came in, it too looks bigger than it is.
So glad u had time to relax this time of year!

Vee said...

You created warmth and joy all day long! Your inlaws must surely appreciate your time and efforts, your husband, too, even the cat! Glad that your day was a special one.

ImSoVintage said...

Simple pleasures are definitely the best. Especially love snuggle time.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Everything looks festive & cozy ! Merry Christmas !

Linda O'Connell said...

I love the beautiful line: an expression of our hearts. That chili looks yummy.

Mica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mica said...

sounds like a great dreary day to me. thanks for sharing. I do love the thrift store score....wowza. Blessings, Mica /The Child's Paper

Merry Christ~mas

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So pretty! Wishing a very merry Christmas and the happiest of holiday seasons to you and yours!...hugs...Debbie

Mrs. V. said...

I love this! I have very similar markings on my kitchen ceiling. While my home is not 100 years old, it is 72 years old ~ so it's at a ripe old age. I must say that mine doesn't even bother trying to look bigger on the outside, lol. My little 1,000 sq. feet looks just like what it is from the outside and in. But, it is home. It is our refuge. And we are so blessed to have it. Wonderful post ~ I love all the pictures you share! :-)

Kathleen said...

There's no place like home!
Hope you had a great Christmas. Many blessings in 2012!