Tuesday, January 3, 2012

17th Century Cottage Whites

More about our Cottage Getaway.  There were lots of whites back in the 17th Century!

Upstairs in the bedroom, the texture of the plaster ceiling made a beautiful contrast with the exposed ancient beams.  I laid on the bed and gazed at the ceiling a lot.

You can see the curve of the fireplace chimney around the window.  The fireplace does not work, and there are no plans to restore function to it.  The deep windows were beautiful.


The nooks in the wall were built for storage.  The carpenter added these when adding the beadboard to cover up the (new) ductwork for the heating and cooling systems.
The bathroom window overlooks the rushing stream behind the cottage.  What a view!

The original door is a masterpiece.

The white mortar around the stones lightens the facade.
A stone wall behind the house overlooks the stream.  There is a lovely sitting area above.  Maybe when the weather warms.....

The stone wall was lit with old fashioned romantic lanterns.

Joining Kathleen for White Wednesday!

17 comments:

Maple Lane said...

beautiful.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the stone, the door and the fantastic view!

Debbie said...

I've been away so I had to click the link to see part one. I LOVE this! This might even be more up my alley than your last getaway. I am totally going to check out that site for my next romantic getaway. When that will be, I do not know...

Olive Cooper said...

Love that stone facade. How pretty.

Cottage and Broome said...

Looks like a beautiful setting! Love all the stone work, Laura

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

How beautiful..how restful, and relaxing!!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What a gorgeous little spot! Happy 10th.

Kay K said...

Beautiful !!!! I would love to visit here also a charmimg little cottage

Amanda said...

I would so love a getaway like that! Thank you for sharing! That cottage is so very very charming! Happy White Wednesday!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Linda O'Connell said...

This would make a perfect writing retreat. Thanks for sharing.

One Heart said...

Oh my, I agree with Linda above. The first thing I thought about was writing. I LOVE this place. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, Carol.

Jann Olson said...

Oh that stone stole my heart. It is absolutely beautiful. How wonderful to have a small stream close by. A little piece of heaven on earth for sure.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oooo, I just love all that stone.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a pretty place to stay, Carol! Happy anniversary to you and your hubby! I hope that your 2012 is off to a great start! Happy Saturday!...hugs...Debbie

Cindy said...

What a great place to stay, I love it.
Hugs, Cindy

Leann said...

Oh what a perfect place to get away to. Love everything about it - we are so alike. The shot of the wall is wonderful!

Enjoy the New Year!
Leann

Vee said...

How'd I miss this? I love that quaint upstairs room where you can see the curve of the non-working fireplace. How pleasant to be right on the creek that way.