Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What I've Been Up To!



Eight years ago, I signed up for a Community Garden Plot.  There aren't many plots in our small community.


Last week the call came from the Borough office.  "You have been assigned Plot 9A", I was told.  I went right over and took a look.  And here's what I found.
My garden plot, 25' by 50'.  My work was laid out for me!



I started clearing.  Pulled all the weeds by hand.  Dug up as much of the soil as I could.  The previous gardener left a wheelbarrow behind. 


She also left a hose.  And the plot is fenced.  I found some stakes and tomato cages, too.  And some potatoes.  Mister tilled it up for me.


I transplanted some day lilies and spiderwort in front of the plot.  And mulched it with free mulch, hauled in my trusty wheelbarrow.
I've ordered a scoop of free compost.
What a transformation!  Welcome, Spring!

13 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very nice! Best of luck with your new garden-enjoy:@)

Marcia said...

Looking great, Carol. It's a beautiful reminder of how each of us doing our part can result in something so much more beautiful than just one going at it alone.

Love and blessings.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh please keep us posted as you do it...and I need a wheel barrow, I want one like that and I want to paint it pink!!

Have fun...and keep us updated! How fun!

Linda O'Connell said...

Carol, your little plot of land will produce so much happiness in your life. I love springtime.

Vee said...

You got a lot accomplished on your garden plot. I love that you'll have flowers blooming there, too. Have great fun with it and may you have lots of produce.

Doniene said...

Wow!! I'm looking forward to your progress!! I've begun on my garden too!

Happy planting!

Maple Lane said...

What a fun project and I look forward to following your progress!

One year I gave hubby a wheel barrow for his birthday and he grumbled about that!!! Turns out he used that more than any present ever!

Olive Cooper said...

Fun and you can grow so much there. We would have to place a ten foot fence to keep deer out at our house.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You'll really enjoy working in it this summet...looks good already with what you've done!

Debbie said...

That is such a cool idea! We don't have a community garden here. I'm not sure that I'd want to make a public spectacle of my brown thumb, but I still think this is a neat thing.

And woohooo to the left behind wheelbarrow too!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh how fun, it will be interesting to what it all grow and see what you plant.

victorian parlor II said...

I look forward to watching your garden as it grows:).

Blessings,

Kim

A Joyful Noise said...

What a difference a bit of strenght and sweat extended can make something that looks barren bloom like a rose !!