Sunday, April 29, 2012

Demolition Day and a Flurry of Birthdays


The doors have been removed, all the old wood kept or taken/given away for other projects.  Hundred year old wood is irreplaceable, so we wanted to make sure it would all be put to good use again.


The right bay of the original garage.  Dirt floor covered with crumbling old rugs.  This door has been removed too.


Left bay, original part of garage.  See the daylight there in the back left corner?  Lots of leaves blow in there, and the corner is rotted.  The section just sits on dirt.


There's the knob and tube.  No longer functional, it had been rewired with extension cords and a 2 fuse electrical panel.  No wall switches or anything fancy like that.


And here is reasonably ok picture of me that I will post, since I so rarely do so.  We took Chickie and her boyfriend to Hotel Hershey for their famous Sunday brunch for her birthday. 


Everybody seemed to have a pretty good time!


And all 3 of our birthdays are within a 2 week window.  Right now, Mister is a freshly turned 60, Chickie a newly minted 20, and I've got a few more days left of 50!

Looking forward to some warmer weather this week, some gardening and a terrific week!

Carol

16 comments:

elizabeth said...

Personally, I'm clinging to 54 for a few more months. When I hit the big 55, it means I'm officially on the downhill ride to the big 60...I can barely believe it myself!
I thought your photo was lovely!

Sue said...

Happy birthday to all, Carol, and it looks as though you have a busy week . Loved the photos.
Hugs,
Sue

Mary Ellen said...

Carol you look great- love the picture and your hair! Wish my grey looked as pretty!

Happy birthday - Hope it is a lovely one for you!
I'm on the way out of # 50 too (in August) and my hubby is working his way to the big 60 too though he is just a year behind your hubby!

Had to laugh at your garage electric set up- this sounds just like what was in ours before we rewired!!

bee blessed
mary

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Happy B-Day to all! The garage looks like a big project, I'm sure you'll be thrilled when it's completed:@)

Debbie said...

First, a belated birthday to your Chickie. I love that picture with the wind blowing her hair.

And happy birthday to the whole family! I think the picture of you is lovely; I really do! I might just photo shop it into my next blog picture. Think anyone will notice?

I'm going to have fun stalking you through the new project.

Vee said...

Happy Birthday, Everyone! You all look fabulous.

That old garage is going to make someone very happy. Look at that great old wood!

bj said...

We have 3 birthdays and an anniv. in April.
You are a gorgeous lady!! Thanks for sharing your new photo....and the best to your daughter for her birthday.

Maple Lane said...

I so enjoyed the photos of your outing. The birthday girl and her date look so happy and I wish you and your hubby a happy birthday, also. You look lovely!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh the garage is so interesting...and Happy Birthdays...we do that around here also...three in one week in January, mine and two sons..then in April, we do hubby's, our daughter and another son....it makes for two full months!

You are beautiful and it looks like a wonderful birthday celebration!!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Looks like y'all are working hard! Glad you're trying to salvage some of the old wood. So many people don't do that, and it's such a shame. Happy Birthday to beautiful you and your beautiful family! laurie

ImSoVintage said...

Happy birthday to all of you. How wonderful to have all that old wood :)

Saleslady371 said...

Happy birthday to all three of you! What a nice celebration and all of you look terrific!

Linda O'Connell said...

Beautiful picture of you; and your chickie is a doll. Everyone looks so happy. Birthdays tend to make me grieve for my youth these days, as the clock ticks faster.
June is our birthday month, six family members.

~~Carol~~ said...

I wish the original garage to our house was still here. From the pictures I've seen, it looked like a little barn!
Happy Birthday to Mister, Chickie, and YOU!

Barb said...

Hi CCarol,
Lovely photos of you and your family.
Happy Birthday to all.
Your demolition is coming along well.Glad you found homes for that beautiful wood.
God Bless
Barb from Australia

Cindy said...

You look wonderful for being nearly 60! Your hubby does, too. You have a darling chickie, too.
Happy Birthday to all of you.
Love and birthday hugs, Cindy