Sunday, April 1, 2012

When a Small Task Turns into an Epiphany, of Sorts

We are, sadly, replacing our old garage. It has to be done, it's falling down. I realized I needed to move some plants around the garage that would otherwise be lost.
It seemed like a good idea to move the rhubarb. After all, that is a plant I've had at my last 3 homes, and I got it from my grandmother's home.


That was the plan.  Dig up the rhubarb.  Move it to the "bed" by the lower deck. 



Of course I forgot to get "before" pictures.  As usual.  But here is a shot from last year, looking down upon the empty bed by the deck.  We dumped some topsoil on it last year, and planted some volunteer cleome, but that was as far as it got.  Seemed like a good place to store the rhubarb.....
But what about the herbs growing by the garage?  They had to move too.
And then there were the rocks here and there, waiting to be re-used....



This bed was completely and totally FREE.  I shopped the yard!  Transplanted the daylilies, lavender, oregano, rosemary, sage.....and the RHUBARB! 
Oh, and the stones, too.



This gardening project gave me great joy. First of all, I was in the garden, always a joyful experience. Second of all, I shopped my own yard, resulting in a FREE garden. Third of all, I got a great workout!
I call that a Win-Win-Win. Wouldn't you?

Have a marvelous Monday!

Carol

16 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Just beautiful Carol! Hope everything is happy, especially the rhubarb:@)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

It looks great! I hope everything loves its new home.

Maple Lane said...

How lovely! I always loved "shopping" the yard for freebies, too. This is such a great time of year for projects like this. I look forward to watching yours grow!

Doniene said...

Can't beat free, working in the garden, and finishing a job!! Well done!

elizabeth said...

I love rhubarb and have one that's barely coming back after someone who was doing yard clean up for us mistook it for a weed!
Thanks so much for praying for us while we're in Ghana. I really appreciate it.

Linda O'Connell said...

I feel like a proud new mom; my rose bush is in full bloom, so I can imagine how happy your are with your babies.

Debbie said...

It is a win/win. Oh, how I wish I had one even slightly green thumb. If I tried to move stuff, I would kill it en route. I just know it.

I do have some traveling daylilies planted here, but I didn't move them myself. I got the husband to do it.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a great little outdoor space you have. Good luck with the rhubarb!

~~Carol~~ said...

So glad you saved Grandma's rhubarb! I can imagine how special they must be to you, because I have my Grandma's rosebush, and it's priceless. Too bad you don't live nearby. You could definitely "shop" my gardens!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh I call that a "win, Win" also...and look at your a garden at your house and a plot in the community garden, now you do need a painted wheel barrow!

Vee said...

Yes, yes, yes! Your garage project sounds like mine of nearly a decade ago now. A lot of work, but a lot of planning fun, and some great results! Enjoy the process.

Marcia said...

Can't beat a free renovation, Carol. ;) Looking so pretty.
Thank you for the birthday wishes for my sweet April fool. ;)
Much love.

Lynn said...

Wonderful job, especially moving the rocks which look heavy. Hope all love their new home and produce a amazing bounty, your herbs are fantastic and rhubarb! So love that. Blessings.

Olive Cooper said...

Dividing plants brings great joy and helps them bloom better. I love the rocks. Happy Easter.

Laura said...

That really is a win win win.
What a beautiful place yu have.

Enjoyed visiting, and I am off to read more posts.

Laura
White Spray Paint

no spring chicken said...

I need a good gardening work-out myself. Kudos to you!

Blessings, Debbie