Friday, May 25, 2012

Ultimate Thrifting

So after Saturday's Market and Honest Bob's, we returned home.  There had been a number of yard sales in our neighborhood, so we decided to see what was left.

Our first (and all remaining) yard sale stop had reached the point where EVERYTHING was free.  I found the Hostess Cake Breaker there.
I can't wait to try it out.  Just have to make a layer cake first.  No problem.  Or a Bundt.  That would work.


Apparently, this prevents crumbling of the cake as you cut it.  Interesting concept.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Click on this picture to read the explanation on the back of the box.


Canning jars.....free.  This lady was SO excited that I would use them.  She said she didn't know anyone who canned anymore.  I was excited too.


Mister was tired, so I dropped him off at home, since we were already in the neighborhood.  It also allowed me to save him the shame that some people feel when they are shopping the curb.  Because that's exactly what I intended to do!
I found several great containers for plants.  Even a terracotta pot!  Stuck some sweet woodruff in this one. 
Shopping the curb is a delightful pastime.  I recommend you try it if you haven't already.

Have a wonderful day and holiday weekend!

Joining Debra for Vintage Inspiration Friday!

11 comments:

Magnolia Blues said...

Oh, I love thrifting. Love the cake cutter. Very cool! You will have to let me know if it works.

Maple Lane said...

Oh, sounds like a great afternoon. I have never used a cake cutter like that; I'll bet it does a great job, though. Do you need a cake taster??

Linda O'Connell said...

My kids pretended they didn't know me. My husband DOES know me. If I say STOP, he knows we're loadingf romt he curb :)

Vee said...

Well I guess I just shan't attempt to compete with the master. Very cute that you spared your hubby any embarrassment by dropping him off. Good finds all. The cake thing really does work, but my mother told me hers was for angel food cake. I didn't know that it would work for any cake.

Jacqueline said...

I need to find some canning jars. They are so expensive these days and I have gotten rid of so many of them.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I have always seen those cake slicers and wondered if they worked? So let us know!

Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

elizabeth said...

What great finds! Thanks for your kind comment on my curbside trash turned to decor.

Cheryl said...

Great finds! My sister is also a pro at finding great things on the curb, or dirt cheap on craigslist. In the past several weeks, she has a new (to her) sofa, chair, and kitchen table...all for about $75!

Debbie said...

Now, see, THAT would be a kind of dream day for me. Free stuff is my favorite stuff of all!

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
Love the cake cutter and it's vintage box.
Hubby and I went footpath (curb) shopping the other day and found a much needed kitchen table. Hubby gave it a quick sand and clear finish ....it looks terrific. We're giving it to our grandson.He's verry happy with the price.
We always check out the street.
Have a good week
God Bless
Barb from Australia

travelintoadventure@gmail.com said...

cake cutter - what a handy tool - now I know what that is used for..
thrifting or garage hopping I enjoy these things too.. love free stuff - just the other day while at a garage sale - they give away a queen size bed -- I am the happy one who got it - sweet!
Hugs..