Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Garden Plot Tour

About 8 years ago, I put my name on a list to get a Community Garden Plot.  And this year, I finally got it! 

Here's what I started with. 


This is what it looks like today! 


Peas, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, zinnias, carrots, beets, cayenne peppers, jalapenos.

Waiting for the peppers to turn red.


The cabbage is so beautiful.  I can't stop looking at it!


I have staggered the corn crop so we won't be overwhelmed.  Same with the beans.


Can't wait for zucchini.


Mister put up the little picket fence we had from another project.  It'll help keep critters out, and reinforce the sturdy chicken wire that is already there.


The spiderwort and day lilies I planted in front of the fence are coming along slower than in our home garden.


May end up using the old wooden screen window as a gate. 


The plot is 25' by 50'.  It is the absolute weediest place I have EVER gardened.  I weed that whole thing about 3x a week.  What wonderful exercise!


Now if I'd just get that garage tour together that I promised long ago....

8 comments:

Vee said...

Wonderful! You've got good sun there. Sorry about the weeds. It's really very charming. I remember reading about Dutch or German community gardens where they built little houses just for hanging about in the country in their gardens. It's a wonderful concept and you obviously have a green thumb!

Maple Lane said...

Good Morning, Carol, I know it is a lot of hard work but WOW, everything looks wonderful! This is a big area! I get hungry just looking at the pretty cabbage!

Debbie said...

This looks absolutely fantastic and mouth watering. I'd love it if you told us more about the community plot and how the whole thing works. I know you've mentioned it before, but I don't think you have explained (or I forgot... it happens)

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

I LOVE IT!! I would be putting down thick layers of newspapers with grass clippings on top to keep the weeds down. Our little town started a community garden this year -- I may need to put my name on the list for next year - still too much shade for much in my yard. Enjoy your gardening venture.

Blessings!
Gail

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your garden looks beautiful and like it's healthy and happy! That's a huge lot so I can imagine the work. Enjoy your veggies:@)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How green and lush! Everything is really growing good this year! Happy summer!

awal.ny said...

That is wonderful. As much as I like to do a flower garden, vegetable garden does not do it for me. My husband only wants to be able to use his huge rototiller for the weeds and it just makes it hard, this year we skipped it. Next year I would like to try and incorporate the veggies and my flowers.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I love it! We don't have community gardens in my little town. Wish we did! Yours looks marvelous!