Thursday, June 14, 2012

Garden Tour

This year, what with the back yard being dug up because of the garage project, I've been focusing on container gardening.  I've so enjoyed the petunias.  This container was the base for a fruit basket we were given a few years ago.  Punched a couple holes in the bottom, and voila!

When I sit out on this back porch I marvel at the lushness and color of the innumerable leaves.  A marvel, indeed.

The what-cha-ma-call-it was left behind by the previous owner.  I had spray painted it white, but this year, thought that red would pop against the new garage.  Put some of my potted flowers in it.  It makes for a pleasant wall garden.

The railings were originally stained wood.  When I re-stained a couple of years ago, I used a white stain.  Love how they pop.  The stain really holds up and there will be no peeling like you would have with paint!

The white railings above and below transform the "deck" into a two level porch.

The day lilies and spiderwort transplanted from elsewhere in the yard have really taken off.

The $3 garden on the left is coming along nicely. Lilies in the back, herbs in the front.
And the $3 pack of asparagus came up, too!

Hope you are having fun in the garden.  It sure does the heart good!

Carol

16 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Carol. Everything looks absolutely great. Love the white railings. I like white. You've done a nice job with all the plants, etc. Thanks for sharing. Susan

Cindy said...

Everything looks so healthy and green. I love the what-cha-ma-call-it, making a wall garden out of it is ideal!
Your garage looks fabulous! Have you blogged about that yet? If so, I missed it.
Your porches are beautiful, I love them.
Have a good weekend.
Hugs, Cindy

Maple Lane said...

Your yard is just as lovely as your home, Carol. What a great idea white stain is! It looks beautiful. Petunias are such a sweet flower and I love the basket. You have so many pretty spots to enjoy the view. I always loved working in the flowers but it is nice to take a break and just enjoy the beauty! Wishing you guys a Happy Father's Day weekend.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Never heard of white stain, it looks great! Love the whatcamacallit in red too:@)

Debbie said...

It all looks just wonderful to me. With my black thumb, I see lots of green out back this year (thank GOD) but still not as much color as I want.

And I love the pot of red on your whatchmacallit.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Things are looking pretty at your home! white stain? interesting.

Vee said...

Your garden looks wonderful and I really love the wall garden at the front of the garage. I could almost do that except there's not quite enough room in my world. What a wonderful idea, though. Red is the color!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

LOVE container gardening...we have so much shade that containers have been my way of gardening. I am a huge petunia fan :)

BTW, I am knee deep, maybe that is pits deep, in a painted porch project. Yours is gorgeous :)

Blessings!
Gail

Beth said...

Hi Carol, Your home and garage look great! The white stain stands out and looks super. I really like the whatchamacallit!

CAS said...

It all looks very lush & pretty! I love the white rails on your porch and steps. Nice to have your herbs so close. Mine are out close to the garden for now, but I want to move them to a different location this fall. Mine are all in one large pot, but seem to be handling the heat quite well.
CAS

Linda O'Connell said...

That watchmacallit is cute! Your home is so inviting.

Lola said...

Many thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours is fabulous!

Have a lovely weekend and look forward to seeing you again soon!

awal.ny said...

Everything looks great. I do think that white outside does pop against all the green and color of plants.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Your garden is wonderful!!!

elizabeth said...

It's fun to see the progress as the plants are growing! I didn't know stain came in white!

Chenille Cottage said...

"Home is where your heart says....Ahhhhhhh!"
I love your wonderful home and all the colorful blooms that surround it! Your daylillies are so abundant! I can clearly see that you love gardening!
Thank you for sharing, Carol!
Blessings,
Carolynn >^^<