Monday, June 25, 2012

Purslane! and Living Out of the Garden

Amy featured Purslane on her Homestead Revival blog recently. 
 If you garden, you've seen this weed.  I've pulled more than I care to remember.


 It is Purslane!  It contains more omega-3-fatty acids than any other leafy vegetable plant!
Research published by Simopoulos states that Purslane has 0.01 mg/g of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for a land-based vegetable source. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid found mostly in fish, some algae, and flax seeds.[5] It also contains vitamins (mainly vitamin A, vitamin C, and some vitamin B and carotenoids), as well as dietary minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron. Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies.[6]   (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea)


It can be used in stews, soups, salads.  Here is a Salad Recipe.  Basically, purslane, tomatoes, salt and pepper, olive oil.  I used some Tuscan Italian salad dressing instead of olive oil.


 Made a salad for two to share.  And we did.  It was delicious!  Mister and I agreed.
Another ultimate thrift - that is delicious and healthy!


Dinner was tilapia with fresh basil/thyme/oregano and cauliflower from the garden! I sure do love summer!

Wishing you a wonderfully blessed summer day!

Carol

18 comments:

Maple Lane said...

Well, I have learned something new! I love tilapia and the fresh cauliflower would be a real treat!
Did your kitties smell the fish?

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I love learning something new! What did it taste like? Remind you of any other leafy green? I'm fascinated. Not sure if I've seen that in our part of the country, but I'll be on the look out now.

Vee said...

Omigosh! That's fascinating!!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

your dinner looks great. Thanks for teaching me something today!

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

Carol,
Thanks for the link back! Your salad looks so yummy!! I really like the taste of the Purslane and the dressing sounds like a good idea.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Well now, I've cursed that "green" more than I'd care to admit! To think it's just Mother Nature's idea of salad! Glad you liked it:@)

Olive Cooper said...

I had no idea. I have pulled that ?weed myself a zillion times. Thanks bunches for telling me dear friend.

Debbie said...

What? A tasty, healing, weed? I need to ask the Mr. if we have any of that around here.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Wow..who knew? Well you have had much more success with your garden than I have had...go girl!!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

I've eaten purslane -- it is yummy. I always pulled it and fed it to my hens too - they LOVE it! Then I'd have Omega-3-rich eggs :)

Blessings!
Gail

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
how facinating..I've not heard of this plant before.
I'll be sure to check my weedy garden thoroughly to see if I have any growing.
Have a good week
Barb from Australia

Happy@Home said...

How interesting! I have seen that weed many times but had no idea it was a health food :). I'm now curious to see what it tastes like.
Your dinner looks very good.

Susan said...

Hi Carol. Sounds good. Don't know if I've ever tried purslane.

Thanks so much for your visit and comment on my blog today. Always love when you stop by. Take care. Susan

elizabeth said...

My aunt used to make it for us when we would go camping with her and I LOVED it! You're the only other person I've heard talk about it or eat it.
Thanks for your kind comment about the sermon on the mount today. It's really convicting me lately.

Jody and Stan said...

I've pulled it out a million times but never have I tried eating it. Always learning something new! Thank you!
New Follower.

Jody

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Soooo, all those weeds I have been pulling are nutritious! No wonder my Father-in-law's cows and goats are so happy and healthy! They get all my weeds and cuttings!
I hope you have a blessed Fourth of July,

Kathy

Sue said...

OH my word, I have been pulling these out of my garden and throwing them away like crazy. I have learned something new today, thanks for sharing, i can't wait to tell and show this to my dh, he will have a great laugh, though I don't know if I could get him to eat some. It certainly sounds like it is very nutritious, I am now wondering how many more different plants I have thrown away that were good and good for me. Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Carole said...

I remember when I spent summers in France we would eat puslane and it was delicious. I never knew it was so nutrious.

x
Carole