Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why I Cut Zinnias for the Kitchen

Zinnias are the only flower for cutting that I am growing this year. They are easy and cheerful and productive.
As Grace Livingston Hill said in "In The Way",


"...and she knelt beside the one wooden chair the room contained and asked the Holy Spirit to guide her in her selection and furnishing of the room. 


What! ask the Holy Spirit of God to stoop to the selection of a chair or picture, to trouble himself with the texture of a carpet or the pattern of a curtain?  And yet these things have more to do than we think with the influencing of human lives.


People who live in a house made beautiful by refinement and taste, even though they may not have much money with which to carry out their pleasure in such taste,


are nevertheless more able to appreciate beautiful words and high thoughts and holy living, than those who live where harmony is not and where colors and shapes are forever at variance.


There is an education and an uplifting in beautiful things and in quiet, peaceful, restful surroundings


which does not count for naught,


else God would not have made the world so beautiful."

How wonderful is that?!
Wishing you a wonderful, beautiful Monday!

Carol

15 comments:

Cheryl said...

Profound thoughts! I love this post, Carol!

Home Furnishing Company said...

Hey thanks for posting your this blog information. I bookmark this page, will back to you shortly. On searching area rugs & Bath Mats i stay at this Area Rugs Online Store which now offering rugs and bath items at wholesale 16-40% off. Also available Knit Hand Made Area Rugs at low price.

Merlesworld said...

They are such bright and pretty flowers.
Merle...

Linda O'Connell said...

What a lovely sentiment and great way to showcase the flowers in the old bottles. Have a great week.

Red Couch Recipes said...

I LOVED this quote and how you weaved it into your photos of zinnias. I do believe that our surroundings are so important! My husband gave me a huge teapot and zinnias to fill it with. I had never planted zinnias before -- found out they are very thirsty. I love yours in little vases. Joni

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

That is beautiful...wow, it just energized me! Thanks for sharing...I love your zinnias

ImSoVintage said...

Beautiful post.

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Such a sweet post, and I love zinnias....such a cheerful flower.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I always have a bouquet on my kitchen table. Zinna's are my old stand bys..always plant them...always have them up till October. I had one this year that was 1/2 lime green and pink! I loved it!

Vee said...

Beautiful post...wonder what happened to my first comment? Things go poof on me every now and then...hope I said nothing out of the way. Anyway, I remember saying something like how sweet to be able to ask for guidance for every little thing. I can't imagine living a life any other way.

What sweet little bouquets you've gathered for your home. Zinnias provide a lot of cheer.

Maple Lane said...

Cheerful bouquets you have cut for the vintage bottles. Delightful!

Jody and Stan said...

Such a lovely post! Your zinnias are gorgeous.

Jody

Debbie said...

1. I love Grace Livingston Hill.
2. I really love zinnias.
and
3. What a wonderful post!

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
I like the bright colours and the way zinnias make a bold statement.
Your post is beautiful.
Asking for Holy Guidance is the best way to live.
God Bless
Barb from Australia

Cindy said...

That is wonderful, Carol, and I could not agree more. I definitely think everything is better in a home where beauty is.
And your sweet home happens to be very beautiful.
Hugs, Cindy