Monday, September 24, 2012

Where I Spent Last Week





One of the things on my to-do list was to paint the front porch roof.  It was a tricky and fiddly sort of project, with quite a learning curve, to my surprise.  The roof paint was very thick, kind of like nail polish.  It was hard to keep a thin coat on, and the paint takes a long time to dry.
By the end of the first day though, I was much more comfortable moving around up there!


Here is what I started with.  And what I did went something like this.....

1.  Throw rope over roof.  Tie to garden hose.  Haul back up.
2.  Start scraping.  Scrape some more.  Repeat.
3.  Repeat #2.
4.  Sand rust.  Wash down roof with bleach solution to get rid of mildew.  Hose down.



5.  Day 2.  Repeat #2.
6.  Paint.  Stay as close to roof as possible to avoid sliding off.  A wet metal roof is slippery!
7.  Day 3.  Repeat #2, finish painting.
Lots of other things learned up there last week, but you get the idea!  Boy, do those raised seams leave a mark!

Joining Susan at BNOTP for Met Monday!

Carol




16 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Carol what a job! This reminds me of our house project- painting- with 2 stories and extra tall ceilings it is a bit precarious!

Olive Cooper said...

Carol, what a labor of love. When Joe gets on the roof of our old house I pray a lot as it is 34 feet to the ground and we have leaks all the time and he has to nail the metal down after high winds. It is scary. xo, Olive

Vee said...

Acckkkk... you're a braver woman than I. It sure does look terrific, Carol. You do good work!

Connie said...

Some women will jump on anything. You're one of those. It looks terrific. If I had a team, I'd want you on it.

✿Carol✿ said...

You're far braver than I am! I remember when we painted our house, and one of my jobs was to paint the little roof overhang on our back porch. NO WAY, wasn't gonna happen! I was afraid I was going to roll right off. Sears homes are naturally beautiful, but yours is spectacular. Good job!

Maple Lane said...

It looks wonderful. Yes, you are much braver than me. I fall on even ground!!!!!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

That's a BIG project! I know you feel good in having it completed and glad you did so without major incident:@)

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
What a beautiful job you did ..it looks lovely. You are a brave and clever lady.
Have a good week
Barb from Australia

Susan said...

Oh my GOSH, Carol. That was a tremendous job. Great work! I don't think I could do that. Honestly, I'd be way too scared up high.

You are to be very commended.

Thanks for your visit and comment to my blog today. Always nice to have you stop by. Susan

Red Couch Recipes said...

Wow! That was quite a project. I love the color! Joni

The 2 Seasons said...

Oh my goodness this seems like a huge project. Stay safe.

elizabeth said...

Woah, you're brave! :} It looks great though!

Sandy said...

A big job and it looks great. You have a beautiful home!
Sandy

Sarai Loftis said...

Moving up there in your roof will definitely be easier the second time around. Of course, you became more confident since you were able to do it the last time. :) You did a wonderful job, Carol. I know you won't have a problem climbing and working up there the next time you need to.

Sarai Loftis

Jere Leach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jere Leach said...

That was a tough job, Carol! Painting, be it the roof or the porch, isn't easy, but you did it with poise! Haha! Anyway, you said that the paint you used was thick? Hmm… I guess you should’ve mixed it with paint thinner for easier application and to help it dry faster, especially with oil based paint.

Jere @YanceyHomeImprovements.com