Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ancestors

These are my great, great grandparents, George and Lucy L. White Lothery.

They are my great, great grandparents, because they ADOPTED my great grandmother, Maude, who was born in 1885.

I look at this picture and think of all the old pictures like this that we see hanging in places like The Cracker Barrel.  People's ancestors.

There is no physical family resemblance, I realized, because of the adoption, which just makes for so much more curiosity.  

The picture hangs in the living room, and it always makes me think and wonder when I look at it.

I am grateful to have this tangible family history, and grateful for the kindness of the Lothery's hearts as they took in Maude.

Day 10, Simple Pleasures linking with  with The Nester's 31 Day Challenge.


6 comments:

Vee said...

There's a novel in there! =) They don't look like especially happy folks, but then that was the style of the day. Was your great-grandmother Maude a happy person? I hope so!

I remember that we share a great-grandmother with the name Maude because you told me once. My Maude was a very happy person and laughed a lot and seemed to always want to snatch me up and kiss me and hug me and hold me. Drove me bonkers, but looking back, I know that she was just pleased with me. How do you remember your great-grandmother?

Maple Lane said...

What a sweet treasure you have.

Susan said...

That's great you have the old photo, Carol. I love learning about relatives, etc. A niece of mine is doing the family tree via records at Ancestry.com She's come up with some great information!

Take care, Carol, and thanks for your visits and comments, too. Susa

The Quintessential Magpie said...

It's wonderful that you have this portrait, and even though they might not be blood related, they are related in that they raised your great grandmother who raised your grandmother who raised your parent who raised YOU. So you inherited things from them that are more important than hair color, eye color, etc. I'm glad you shared this, Carol. It made me think how much we owe everyone who has touched our lives for the better, family or friend or even acquaintances or the boy who waited on me to day at Tuesday Morning. I inherited his joyfulness and took it home with me. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Linda O'Connell said...

What a wonderful connection to the past. I love Cracker Barrel, too.

Olive Cooper said...

Wonderful you have that portrait of them. That was back when folks did not smile in photos. I am sure adoption was far easier then and am glad their hearts were big nonetheless. xo, olive