Friday, October 26, 2012

Oiling the Soapstone

When we remodeled our kitchen 2 years ago, we got our dream countertop - soapstone. It's very old fashioned.
One can put things straight from the oven or stovetop directly on it. I use it as a cutting board too. (please don't tell)
Very little maintenance is required. I apply oil (we have some that came with it, or you can use mineral oil) 2-3 times a year because I use and clean it so much.


When the oil wiped off and the counter "redecorated" I feel a satisfying sense of accomplishment!

Which means it is now October 26, with it's own Simple Pleasure.



6 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Your kitchen looks so pristine. My countertop starts out spotless on Sunday, but by Wednesday the mail piles high, and hubby who knows not how to sweep bread crumbs into the sink, makes me want to scream.

Vee said...

Oh yes! There you are. I see that the coffee pot is located in a handy spot on your beautifully clean and polished soapstone countertop.

Someday, perhaps, I'll have my little kitchen nook made over. Until then, it does give me a great sense of satisfaction to tidy it and try to make it look presentable. Yours looks terrific!

Debbie said...

Gorgeous! I dream of a new kitchen counter. I wouldn't have to have soapstone, anything would be better than the hot mess I have. Sigh...

momstheword said...

I love your kitchen, so pretty. I recently asked my hubby if we could paint the cupboards white. I'd also like a new counter.

However the roof leaks and so we have to repair it, we have to replace our pipes, and our couches are over 20-25 years old, so I guess that all comes first.

Re: your comment, I know my son does that too. You'll ask him to do something and he'll say "o.k." and then you walk away and he'll go, "Wait, what????" I guess he gets it from me, lol!

Merlesworld said...

That stuff sounds great for a kitchen benchtop mine marks very easily, I put wooden boards down when i get things out of the oven and never cut on it and still it has marks on it.
Merle.....

Maple Lane said...

I do love your kitchen; it's lovely! As a child, I remember watching grandma clean her kitchen each a.m. after breakfast. I often think of her as I'm tidying up. It gives me great pleasure to have everything sparkly clean! Have a nice weekend.