Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Sewing Drawer Inspiration!

This post is dedicated to Vee and Laura, and Olive! without whom's technical advice pictures would not be possible.
Go visit them after you read this post!

I've had old sewing drawers for years.  Seven of them were in the garage when we moved in.  Plus some old sewing machines, lots of old beautiful lumber.  The previous owner is an antiques dealer.

Kathy, at Sharing Shadymont, (yes, make sure to go visit!) had blogged about decorating an old sewing drawer.  I had an epiphany.

Two of the Christmas gifts we gave this year - forgot to take pictures - were packaged in sewing drawers, with a beautiful big ribbon around them, or a scarf tied on, kind of like the tulle is tied in the drawer pictured below.


I took 3 other drawers and set them about the house, decorated for the season.  Some faux greens and candles I had laying around fill the first drawer.


Two little pop up books stand in front of another one filled with candy canes and berries and candles.
I've already changed it out to winter, without the Christmas touches.  I'll share another time.


We are using the third drawer as a romantic centerpiece on the dining room table.  Here it sits in the window, but it moves about easily.

In the spring, I shall fill those canning jars with lilacs, in the summer with zinnias.

Really, the possibilities are endless, aren't they??!

Wishing all a marvelous week!

Carol

13 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, lovely! The portability of them is terrific. I've even seen some sitting on brackets and used as shelves on Pinterest. Glad that Google Chrome is working for you!

ImSoVintage said...

I love old sewing drawers. So happy that I was able to help and that you now are up and running with Google Chrome.
Hugs,
Laura

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I like! esp with the lights in them. You put them to go use!

Sharing Shadymont said...

Wow Carol, these look terrific! I have just decorated mine for valentine's which I'll show in a day or two. It's so much fun to change them out with the season or holiday. They can be used for so many things. I saw a pretty one at a shop on Saturday, but the price was a little more than I wanted to spend. I'm always on the lookout for them. I was just thinking, one would look great in the powder room with guest towels inside, or pretty wash cloths and soaps. Hmmmm..... Thanks for the shout out!! You're a sweetheart!

Lois' Laughlines said...

I have a sewing drawer that I love, at Christmas I put mason jar candles and greenery, right now it is in my kitchen with random plates in it. I love it. blessings to you.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very pretty! Love the one with lights and Mason jars-enjoy:@)

Maple Lane said...

Glad you are able to post photos again...these are lovely. I love that they are easy to move about and change with the seasons.

Olive said...

Oh I love them. The lighted one is a delight. You know I do not have one...

Susan said...

Great job on the drawers, Carol. Loved the lights in the windows the best. Take care and thanks for your visits to my blog! Susan

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

now that is great...what a good idea and all of them are lovely

Cindy said...

I love your sewing drawer decor! They are all lovely, especially the last one. It makes me want to go scavenging about in junk stores just in order to find a few. They would fit in in my little cottage very nicely.
I LOVE your header photo! Your home is one that I would love to visit, but you live so far away, so I shall admire it from afar.
Hugs, Cidny

Lorraine said...

Sweet centerpieces! I have four of those drawers in my garage waiting for me to do something with them. I was thinking of whitewashing them but just not sure where I would use them.

Happy anniversary to your and your beloved! Your two are a handsome couple :)

Carol said...

That is such a cute and clever idea! I'll be adding old sewing drawers to my list of things to look for at the thrift stores!