Sunday, January 27, 2013

Specially Prepared Chicken and Roasted Cauliflower

Have you ever heard of spatchcock chicken?  I hadn't.
It's just another name for butterflying a whole chicken.  Then since you can flatten it out on a baking sheet, it cooks a lot faster.  Also great to grill!
This was so yummy!  And so fun.


Just take your kitchen shears, and cut out the backbone of the chicken.
Then you lay it breast side up, and flatten it on the baking sheet.  I used a rimmed baking or cookie sheet.
Put some olive oil on the baking sheet, then a layer of thinly sliced lemon, then the chicken that has been oiled, salted, peppered.
Use your fingers to separate the skin from the legs and breast, and slip in some lemon slices and garlic.
I baked at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, and then 30 or so more minutes til done.


Oh. My. Goodness.  Look at that crispy delicious skin.  I rarely eat the skin because it's not good for you, but I did indulge this time!  And the meat was so wonderful, tender and juicy!
(yes, the garlic turned blue....I googled this a while back, and that's ok.)


Then I pulled out some blanched/frozen cauliflower from this year's community garden.  Mixed up some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and roasted it.  When it came out of the oven, grated some fresh parmesan on it.  So good!  Recipe from Carole at My Kitchen Escapades - easy and fabulous!
And I'm not even a cauliflower fan. Mister thought it was fresh cauliflower.

One postscript:
The chicken spattered all over the oven.  So the next night we got the bright idea of using the oven's self cleaning feature.
Um.....it set off the smoke alarms NON-stop, which are wired into the electrical system.  The self cleaning cycle is 4 hours long, but fortunately I came up with a brilliant inspiration to quiet the alarms.
I wrapped the kitchen smoke alarm in plastic wrap.  And remembered to take it off the next morning.
Boy, the fumes generated from that cleaning cycle made our eyes and throats burn.
I will not be doing that again unless the windows and doors are wide open!

Joining Yvonne at Stone Gable, for On the Menu Monday!  Make sure to visit.  She has some fabulous dishes featured!


19 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my! That sounds very delicious, I don't have lemons or garlic, but once I do, I'm going to do this. I just happen to have two whole chickens in the freezer.
Have a wonderful week!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you had a great dinner! I had garlic turn green/blue once when I made garlic knots, Google is our friend isn't it:@)

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

LOL Carol about the smoke alarm -- I have done that. Your LOW Carb meal looks devine and i am going to plan to try that chicken soon.

Blessings!
Gail

Sue said...

So funny about the oven, been there done that, thanks for the tip.

The baked chicken look so delicious.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

I've never tried this before, but last week I learned how to roast a whole chicken. I was so proud. I love cauliflower. :D It looks sooo good!

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol...
...Your baked chicken looks sooo delicious....and we all love cauliflower at my house.....I'll be sure to try this recipe..
Barb from Australia

SallysBakingAddiction said...

i've never heard of spatchcock chicken before! I've never done that - and the cauliflower looks so good. it's one of my favorite veggies!

joy said...

You made me hungry. Gonna try that recipe one day:)

Leann said...

I made roast chicken Saturday - how funny! Love the idea of spatchcocking to shorten the roasting time!!

Enjoy your week and stay warm!

Leann

Vee said...

Thanks for the warning about the oven. I have yet to try the cleaning feature on mine. Oh that chicken looks great. I know that eating the crispy skin is not good for a person, but honestly it's my favorite part. =D

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Never heard of it but..oh it looks so good!

Shannon @ A Cozy Place Called Home said...

Sorry I had to laugh about your adventures with the smoke detector. We too have them set up to the alarm system and it sure doesn't take much to set them off. Once ours went off when I burnt something in a pan, which is kind of embarrassing to explain when the alarm system calls to see if everything is okay! At least I know these things don't just happen to me!!!!

I don't think I've butterflied my own chicken, but I've seen Barefoot Contessa do it and have wanted to try it. Your chicken sounds yummy, so I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for your recipe.

ShugarySweets said...

I love cauliflower! Good arning on the oven! I've never cooked chicken like that!!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

I have never heard of such...you gourmet cook! I will have to try...now I am laughing about setting off the alarm...my hubby did that on Saturday morning cooking breakfast..and yes it scared the guys to death...LOL What a way to wake up!

As for your comment today...yes, so many young people going through so much...it breaks my heart!!

momstheword said...

No, I have never heard of it but I'll bet it was yummy. I can't imagine what would cause your eyes and throat to burn like that. The oven is just hotter and there's no chemicals involved.

Your oven must be different because we had no trouble with our cleaning cycle! Sorry but now you know for next time!

Vickie said...

Wow, that chicken looks great - but I'm NOT going to cook it in the oven. It will have to get grilled - My oven is not self-cleaning and I'm not about to make that big of a mess!

Of course, the crispy skin is the best! Why is all the good stuff bad stuff????

Debbie said...

It looks just delicious! I would like to try it in the oven when my oven comes in from the garage. In the meantime, I would like to try the technique on the grill. I happen to have some whole chicken in the freezer.

As to the alarm, that is so funny. (Sorry) It's just that I can't tell you how many times I have played "wave the dish towel" until my arm flab hurt. LOL

PreparedtoEat.com said...

We have a talking smoke detector that says "fire, fire!" but my kids usually chant "dinner, dinner" whenever they hear it. ;) The chicken looks delicious. I have heard of it before, but not made it (yet). Will have to give it a try!

Designs By Pinky said...

I came over from Yvonne's. This sounds delicious. I love roasted chicken. I have NEVER had a problem with my self cleaning oven, in 29 years!!! can't imagine why that happened to you!!! XO, Pinky