Saturday, February 2, 2013

Cold Weather Nesting

If you ask me, it's all in the details.


The original light fixtures, the wood work, (btw, my next project is painting the stair risers and side trim white), the lamplight.


Night time gives a warm and welcoming glow to home.  Coming upstairs, 4 rooms lead off the hallway in the original part of our home.


Chickie's room.  The wallcolor (Venus Teal, Behr Self Priming wall paint that only required one coat and no touch ups - and that was painting over stripes!) is actually a deeper color than it looks here, and bluer.


I painted all the trim and doors in the spare bedroom white week before last.  It had been a dark green that was getting tired looking and dated.


You can see the original light fixture up here.  Actually, it was in the dining room when we moved in, and there was just a cheap globe here affixed at ceiling height.  We have a lovely chandy in the dining room now, and Mister had the genius to move the fixture up here.
That's Chickie's TV room to the right of this shot.


Standing in the original bathroom (with claw foot tub), you can see that the hall is nice and roomy.  The previous owner painted the floor up here and in the foyer downstairs, that you can see in the first shot.

So there you go.  You rarely get to see this part of the house, so I thought I'd provide you with a quick tour by lamplight today!

So, I'm staying home and nesting and being so cozy!

How about you?

Carol
                                    Linking with Mary at Little Red House where the theme is Home..


22 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

It's all glowing and lovely. Winter time nesting is so very restorative to the body, mind and soul. Thanks for the tour :)

elizabeth said...

Oh, I'm loving it!

Maple Lane said...

Everything is lovely and very cozy. This is perfect weather to stay indoors. Are you baking this weekend?

Red Gate Farm said...

So warm and inviting! And I LOVE those floors! :)

~Chris

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So pretty and I love the floors!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Linda O'Connell said...

Your home is so inviting. the stair case is beautiful.

Merlesworld said...

I do like those floors and the Venus Teal colour in Chickie's room.
Merle.....

Cindy said...

Thanks for the chance to see your upstairs. It's really beautiful. I love the floors and the light fixtures and the walls are lovely, too!
Hugs, Cindy

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the tour...it's such fun to take a peek into places you've never been! You have a lovely home!

My Cottage Diary said...

Your home looks like the perfect place for nesting and keeping warm and cozy during these cold winter months! I really enjoy your posts! Bess

Tim and Kristy said...

Just Beautiful. I love the candle light glow... so cozy.

chateau chic said...

You're right, it is all about the details. You have wonderful charm in your lovely home.
Mary Alice

Debbie said...

I'm home, but I am doing more hot messing of my nest than nesting these days. I love the upstairs tour even though it made me covet the upstairs of your Sears Kit Home as much as the parts I have already seen. I am crazy about that floor!

Leann said...

Hi Carol

I loved seeing more of your home. Love that you have some original light fixtures. We don't but I'm trying to replace all of the ones that we have with repros.

A Garden of Threads said...

You have a beautiful home. Thank you for the tour.

Vee said...

You have a beautiful home and have become a house whisperer. The beautiful woodwork, floors, and walls...love the paint colors in the bedrooms...and I really like that you painted the woodwork white. I adore white woodwork.

Lorrie said...

Your home is cozy and warm in the evening light. And I love the photo of it from the outside as seen in your header photo. Lovely.

Mary said...

Oh, how lovely! My in-laws had a Sears kit home, and your newel post looks very familiar. When they first moved there, my MIL had to remove paint from all the stairs and molding. That woodwork was beautiful once she was done! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home at Little Red House, xoxo

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Your home is looking warm and inviting!
Love your staircase and especially your porch - HOME!
hugs
Shane ♥

Pondside said...

I love to read about the Sears kit houses - you have a lovely home.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

your home is so lovely, even by lamp light!
I must say the previous owners did a fantastic job painting the landing floor. I love that pattern.
I have a pattern in mind for my kitchen...but haven't had the GUTS TO DO IT.
It would be quite an undertaking...Pat

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well, you do have a lovely looking space. Very homey. Beautiful floors! No place like home.