Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fabulous

I'd been thinking about making my own tortillas. I figured if I made corn tortillas, they would be gluten free. And it might be fun!

I found some masa farina at Aldi.  A 5 lb bag was only a little over $2.
I followed the instructions and mixed 2/3 cup warm water with a cup of the masa farina and a dash of salt.  Kneaded it for 2-3 minutes and wrapped tightly in plastic until I was ready to use it.

I took a golf ball sized piece of dough, flattened it between 2 pieces of a plastic freezer bag, rolled it out, then peeled it off and laid it in the hot (no oil) cast iron skillet.  Baked and flipped.


I had cooked and shredded some chicken, added some homemade salsa from last year's garden and some taco seasoning.


Here it is.....tortilla, baby spinach, chicken, cheese.


Rolled it up and oh, my goodness!  It was soooooo wonderful.

And now, on to the List.  Joining Fawn at Happy Wives Club......

39.  He is extremely intelligent.
40.  He makes sure to hug me several times a day.
41.  He is a man of integrity.
42.  He is a man of influence, a humble and honorable man.
43.  He is FUN!

Have a wonderful week!

18 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

hat is the kind of food I should be eating. It looks delicious!

Susan said...

Carol? It looks DELICIOUS. I'd like some right now. Susan

ImSoVintage said...

definitely going to try this :)

Micupoftea~ said...

Home-made is always best! Just like making bread, making tortillas is easy and rewarding- you know exactly what's in them and they are fresh. Your dinner looks great~
:)

Vee said...

You're never going to run out of good things to say, are you? ☺

Your meal did look delicious.

joy said...

Makes me hungry:)

elizabeth said...

I think I'll have to give this a try!

Fawn Weaver said...

That looks delightful, Carol! That's gluten free? Yum!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Dinner looks great Carol! I've made flour tortillas but haven't tried corn yet. Thanks for the link to the piggy cake:@)

Debbie said...

I'm no Betty Crocker, but I think I could do this. I want to try it. My husband would be so thrilled to have a homemade tortilla.

Surprised too.

Vickie said...

Delish, Carol! I've made flour tortillas but not corn. We're trying not to eat "white" stuff, guess I need to try these corn ones. Looks good with what you added!

Cindy said...

I haven't tried making tortillas for many years, but yours makes me want to try again. I'm glad yours don't look like the store bought ones, because then I won't feel so bad making them. Mine always looked like yours in the picture. But I'm always disappointed because they're not perfect. Thank you for showing us they don't have to be perfect to be edible!
Hugs, cindy

Olive said...

We have a new Aldi'a and my intake of fruit is happily increased. Good for you for making homemade tortillas.

momstheword said...

Oh that looks yummy. I could eat it right NOW!!!

I have only made flour tortillas. They were really yummy but I just never made them again. I suppose it's time to try it again now, lol!

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh...Carol! I lived in San Diego for many years and homemade tortillas are soooo good. My brother-in-laws wife is from Mexico and she would make them for us using her hands.
Have a wonderful Sunday,
Blessings,
Carolynn xo

Maple Lane said...

I would love this recipe. God bless you and your husband.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Oh my that looks good...you are a cooking lady...and your list on hubby...always a joy to read!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These look so good. I haven't made any in ages! And I bet my hubby would like them, too! Love your list!