Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tale of Two Honeys

Local Honey is a little luxury, a little simple pleasure to me. Raw, unprocessed, local. It's supposed to be good for your allergies too, if it's local.







I've been making Honey Granola weekly for about 10 years now.  It is so fabulous, prep time is less than 5 minutes and bake time 25 to 30 minutes.  It's a basic recipe, and you can add raisins, fresh fruit, nuts, whatever, when you eat it.  Here is the recipe:

Honey Granola

Greased 9x13 pan
350 degree oven

In microwave, melt and mix together:
    1 stick butter or margarine (butter takes it over the top)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 T brown sugar

Pour over and mix with
     5 cups old fashioned oats that you have measured into your greased 9x13 pan

Bake for 15 minutes, stir and bake for 10-15 more minutes.  I just keep in a plastic cereal container.  Never had it go bad or stale.  I've even made up 3-4 weeks worth when we redid our kitchen so that we'd have plenty.

It's good for breakfast (lunch or dinner, just saying), good on ice cream, yogurt, whatever.
______________________________________________________________

Now on to that never-ending list of mine......(linking with Fawn at Happy Wive's Club again), where I continue to extol the virtues of my other honey.......

28. He looks great in a tux. Get this.....I sweated and starved to get a couple of pounds off for this formal event. He just got a bigger vest - and it works! Sheesh.
See what I mean?

29.  He is a great dancer.  (I'm not.)
30.  I love the way he looks in a jacket and tie.
31.  He has little quirks.  Just found out the other day that when he first gets up in the morning he washes his face with cold water. (I only know this because his hands feel like Blocks of Ice afterwards.)  Ever hear the saying about throwing cold water in your face, to wake up? So he applies that saying to himself.  Every morning. Cold-as-possible water.  We laughed a lot about it.  I asked him if he'd ever heard the saying "go jump in a lake".  Seems like jumping in a lake in the morning this time of year would be quite the invigorating way to wake up.

Hope you are having a great week, rife with simple pleasures!

Carol

12 comments:

Vee said...

You don't splash your face with cold water in the morning? Both John and I do and we did long before we were spending our mornings together. I think you'll find lots of cold water splashers amongst your readers. He does look great in a tie! Now I'm off to try your granola recipe for real because it sounds so simple! I do love easy.

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Ah well.... I just can't do it. His hands feel like blocks of ice after. That's too much cold for me!

Mrs. Mac said...

your granola recipe is just the 'fix' .. been wanting to add a sprinkle of it on my homemade yogurt parfaits of late. THanks!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

I have never made granola, don't know why, but I should! Thanks for the recipe...and your list, oh my, just a delight to read and inspiring!

chateau chic said...

That granola recipe looks like a winner...quick and easy and good! Your hubby sounds like a keeper.
Mary Alice

Merlesworld said...

He does look good in formal clothes and he can dance wow you have got it all as far as splashing you face with cold water it's great in summer in winter who wants to wake up.
Merle........

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol.....I'm with you...cold water on the face first thing in the morning...no way!! I use barely warm/not quite cold water....now that's nice...
I only found out last Christmas that my Hubby's favourite colour is green..and we've been married 50 years.The things you keep finding out.....aww well, makes life interesting.
Have a lovely day
Barb from Australia

Fawn said...

He does look great in that tux! Enjoying seeing your why I Love My Husband list growing (the link up is now live for this week :)). That honey granola sounds delish. A friend of mine raises honey bees and absolutely loves it.

Linda O'Connell said...

I'm going to try that recipe. Thanks.

ImSoVintage said...

Definitely pinning your recipe so I can try it later. Thanks :)

Leann said...

Oh I have always washed my face with cold water in the morning - never ever any soap.

This recipe sounds soo yummy!

Stay safe and warm!

Mrs.Rabe said...

Carol,

I popped over from Vee's blog to get your granola recipe!

It sounds good, I'm going to give it a try!

Deanna