Friday, February 8, 2013

Why I Don't Need Candy for Valentine's Day, after all

This year, for a change, I did ask Mister to get me some candy for Valentine's Day.  I've got a procedure scheduled for that day, so I thought it would be my just reward.

I've changed my mind.

I just came from the kitchen where I made, that's right, MADE what I'm going to call My Very Own Milk Duds.  So please, no more candy!

I love Milk Duds.  They do a number on my TMJ, but there's no help for it.  The sweet chocolate outer layer, the sweeter inner caramel.  I always eat them two at a time, because, well, it just seems right.

It all started with hunger pangs and fondly thinking about the cans of sweetened condensed milk in my pantry.  I could just eat that stuff from the can.  Actually, I did just that, eventually.

I searched Desserts at Allrecipe.com, excluding the ingredient flour, but including my delicious sweetened condensed milk.  That is how I came across the recipe for Chocolate Covered Caramels.

I was intimidated by using a  candy thermometer, but I do have one, so thought, why not?


The top end of the glass was broken off, but the thermometer itself was intact.

I halved the recipe, and proceeded thusly:

I placed waxed paper with Pam sprayed on it in an 8x8 baking dish.

Melted:
1 stick butter in a heavy saucepan.

Added:
1 cup and 2 T brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

Stirring constantly, I heated to soft ball stage.  My thermometer seemed a bit wacky because when I dropped the caramel in the cold water it made a soft pliable ball, but the thermometer said it was nowhere near ready.  I went with the soft ball stage.  After all, you saw my thermometer!

Removed from heat and stirred in:
about 1tsp vanilla

(I always generously overguestimate vanilla)

Poured into my prepared pan.

Now, I have dipped homemade Easter egg candy before in chocolate, and it wasn't too pretty.  So when I make something like this, I do chocolate the lazy way.

Take some of the leftover sweetened condensed milk, add some chocolate chips in, microwave to melt chocolate, dump in some vanilla, stir, and pour over the caramel.  So much easier.

It's cooling on the sunporch.  I'll see about cutting it when it sets.



I thoroughly cleaned the pan, the can and the chocolate melting measuring cup by scraping out and eating the contents.  I'm so glad I don't know what my blood sugar is right now!

As a side note, remember my Amaryllis that was blooming a couple of weeks ago?  (here)  Well, we are starting Round 2.  In the kitchen, behind the sink, bloom 2 is coming along nicely.

 Right where I can check on its progress through each day.  How wonderful is that?!


 I had showed you the container I planted it in.....a glass container I dug up in my back yard years ago, in my first home.  But I neglected to show you the back side of the container, so here it is.....


One Dry Pint.

Have a marvelous weekend!

Carol

13 comments:

Vee said...

Sounds like something I would do. When all else fails, a bit of butter, brown sugar,, and milk mixed together and nuked for a minute or so works really well, too. Not today, though, I've got granola to munch.

Maple Lane said...

This sounds so delicious. We are on sugar/salt free diet but I can dream while looking at your photo!!!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

The candy sounds great and I love it when a second bloom comes up! Hope you don't get too much snow:@)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

That candy looks amazing; want me some! -lol- Today I bought some maple candies...not sure what they're called but they sure are good!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Carol,
Oh...My mouth is watering! Your homemade Milk Duds sound and look scrumptious. There's just nothing better than caramel and chocolate.

Thank you for your loving wishes on the birth of our little grandbaby. He is such a gift from God. We're so happy to have him in our lives.

I pray your procedure goes well, my friend and that you have a Happy Valentine's Day.

Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Anne said...

Hi, Carol! Oh, goodness, these sound absolutely decadent! Love your amaryllis, too ~ and the container!! My husband worked for Nabisco for years; I'll have to show him! Thank you so much for visiting me as always, my Dear, and for all your sweet comments!
Hugs,
Anne

Olive said...

You are funny. I use a thermometer when I make fudge. It probably was not accurate because it was broken. I am not the only one digging up pot sin yards I see. It is fun isn't it?

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Homemade milk duds?Who would of thought! yum!

Sharing Shadymont said...

Oh YUM!!! Looks delish!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Oh I am laughing...I am trying to be good before the wedding...now you have tempted me!
I love the pot...that is great!

Sarah@Like sunshine in the home said...

Mmm, homemade toffee. I love treacle toffee the best. :)

So good to see you on my blog, hopefully I'll be blogging more regularly now. Blessings xx

Saleslady371 said...

Wow, you are ambitious. Looks good. Whatever the procedure is, I hope it goes very well. Thanks for your friendship, and support and stopping by! I'm blessed.

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol......how tempting your candy looks.....I skipped the recipe...just reading it would make me put on weight.
Your Amarylis is so healthy....
My Hyacinths have started to sprout....so I'm hoping for some nice blooms later on..
God Bless
Barb xx