Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Next Thing

As I started painting the trim today on the stairs, I did a lot of reflecting.
I had delayed this job for a couple of years because of the carpet.  Taking it up is not an option, so it must be painted around.
The way I came up with to prevent painting the carpet itself was to use a little teeny tiny paint brush to outline the job.  Can anyone say, TEDIOUS?!!


I persevered.  Remembered Elisabeth Elliot's words, "Do the next thing."


I'm doing a lot of that these days.  The next thing.  Engaged in spiritual warfare like never before.


I get up each morning and start it again.  Praying the Scripture.  Knowing that Jesus has given us the power to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome ALL the power of the enemy, nothing will harm me or my dear one for whom I pray.  (Luke 10 :19)


That with my shield of faith I can quench EVERY fiery dart of the evil one.  (Eph 6:16)
I'm not doing it in my own strength.  The Holy Spirit is walking with me.  The Lord is working.  He's got this.


Just like this job, it's not finished.  "For I know the plans I have for you, " declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."    (Jer. 29:11)


So I'm getting up.  Every morning.  Pressing in.  Claiming the promises.  He is keeping his end - comforting me with His beautiful Presence every day, guarding my heart, building my faith, keeping me keeping on.  We are in this together.  Seeking His kingdom.  Giving Him the glory.  Delighting in Him doing His will.

Surrendered and abandoned to Him,

Carol


P.S.  Don't think I forgot about the List!  Joining Fawn at Happy Wive's Club....

44.  He still has the beard and is still rockin' it.  He didn't like it, but went to a barber to get help for it.....for me!
45.  He holds me whenever I ask him to.  It's his favorite thing to do.
46.  He loves to come home at night.
47.  I can say this for both of us.......Us is where we really live.

13 comments:

ImSoVintage said...

It looks like a very tedious job that will be well worth your effort in the end. Congratulations on getting started.
Hugs,
Laura

Maple Lane said...

A beautiful list of why you love your husband.
I remember painting a hallway for my parents which had 10 doors in it to be painted. I felt much they same as you describe here.
Keeping you in my prayers.

joy said...

Wonderful post and encouraging:)

Susan said...

Good luck with the painting project, Carol. It's looking good. Susan

Vee said...

Whew...you're a better woman than I, my friend. It's going to look great.

Linda O'Connell said...

Perseverence, reverence, time to reflect. Tedious jobs aren't all bad. You will be so happy with the outcome.

Debbie said...

Just exactly what I needed to read the morning!!! I love that poem that inspired E.E.'s words. I used it as my motto a few years ago, and I needed the reminder this morning.

God used you.
Thanks.

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol... the stairs are going to look wonderful, you will smile every time you go up and down them.....
Keep up the good work...
God Bless
Barb xx

Olive said...

My friend I have been slowly peeling wallpaper off the master bedroom wall for over two years now. You have inspired me to press on with that tedious job. I so want to pay someone to do it but will not.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It is looks fantastic. A long, slow job but you will enjoy it for a long time!

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

Amen,Amen, Amen...and I so needed this today after my day..thanks, amen..and I can't wait to see the stairs

Leann said...

I need to paint the backs of ours too, the white is looking dingy!

I love how you end your posts.

Leann

Cindy said...

I understand battling, I am doing the same thing. God is keeping us sane. So grateful that we can know Him.
Hugs, cindy
Oh, and your stairs are looking terrific!