Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Metamorphosis

 It was just a few weeks ago, that the wonderful day lilies were all the rage.


 Out back they lined the stair railing, and they filled the circular garden.


I would rise early, and watch the blooms unfurl.  What a summer delight!


Now the day lilies are finished, and I am startled every time I look at the circular garden, because now it is PINK!  I am now calling these Surprise Lilies, as our dear friend Mildred ( http://maplelanehouse.blogspot.com/)calls them.  This year I'm liking that name better than Naked Ladies.
It just sounds, well, nicer.  Thank you, Mildred!  (not sure why the link won't display on actual post??)
 Bouquets of Surprise Lilies line the driveway.


 They front the house, too!


The fragrance is heavenly.  A banner year for Naked Ladies  Surprise Lilies!!!

Have a fabulous day,
Carol

12 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

Hi Carol, You home and garden are so lovely! I nearly run out of the road whenever I spot the surprise lilies. They are so gorgeous!

I've been out in the 95 degree weather trying to rescue a chihuahua mommy someone put out. She is tired and thirsty but too scared to trust the many neighbors and I. Maybe tomorrow. I will worry all night.

Do you have mums in the fall?

Thistle Cove Farm said...

those are beautiful lillies and your yard is fabulous...shows the efforts of all your hard work.

Kathy Moreland said...

No matter what you call them, they are gorgeous!!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

they are so pretty!
I like 'suprise lilies'

the ground and gardens around your home are gorgeous...even your basement door has beautiful color on it and blends well with the surroundings. :) Pat

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very pretty and a great color! I love that the lilies are blooming at different times-enjoy:@)

Vee said...

That is a nice name. They are beautiful and even better since they have a wonderful aroma.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

I like the name also..how beautiful and what a beautiful site to see each day.

Debbie said...

Oh how I would LOVE to have some Surprise Lilies at my house. I couldn't even get my orange ones to bloom. Apparently, no matter how hard I tried, they didn't make it through the drought.

And that is definitely a better name than Naked Lilies, but I guess they are so called because they are blushing?

Cindy said...

Your lilies are all beautiful, I like the Surprise Lily name better than the other, too. My Day Lilies are almost finished, I enjoy them while I have them. I'd love to have a few Surprise Lilies in my garden.

victorian parlor II said...

What beautiful gardens!

Blessings,

Kim

Leann said...

GORGEOUS!!! Both kinds - love the pink the best though - always a sucker for pink!!

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol... your day lilies were beautiful.... as for your Surprise Lilies, my Dad always called them Naked Ladies but I like their proper name of Belladonna lilies better......they are gorgeous....
Hugs ... Barb xx