Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

I got the idea from Pinterest.  It was called Pinata cake, and was much prettier than mine.  The rest is pretty  much all me.

1 box cake mix  (chocolate would be good, but all I had was white with pudding in it...)
1 box instant chocolate pudding (cause I didn't have chocolate cake mix)
1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (cause I didn't have chocolate cake mix)
1/2 cup water....which I subbed in half of it for coffee...
1/4 cup veg oil
1 cup vanilla yogurt (instead of sour cream)
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

Put all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix slow for a minute to combine ingredients, and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Throw in a bottle of red food coloring if you want red velvet cake.

Turn into prepared 8 inch cake pans.  (wax paper the bottoms and grease/flour the sides)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or so, til done.

Cool 10 minutes.  Turn out of pans.

I love to cut my cake layers, so I cut each layer in half horizontally.
And then cut a circle out of the middle of 3 of the 4 halves.

 Layer.  Frost it.  (Seven Minute Frosting because it's fun)

 Layer.  Frost it.  Layer. Frost it.

Pour your M&Ms in the middle.  Put the top layer of cake on.  You know, the one with no hole in the middle.  Frost the whole cake.


I made this cake as a Valentine's Day surprise for Chickie.  I was able to keep it a surprise by telling her that I was making a cake for our youngest cat's birthday.  We selected February 14 to be his birthday because he regularly gets cranky and finds us repulsive and cringe-worthy, and we theorized that perhaps having a birthday celebration on such a day of love would encourage him to be more loving.

We're kind of weird that way around here.

Be blessed today!

9 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cute cake!

I got tickled with your instructions, Carol. Loved reading them.

I might have to try this... In the mean time, I will be forced to settle on a storer bought brownie!

Happy Valentine's Day!

xo

Sheila

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your cake turned out cute! I'd like to surprise the boys with one:@)

The Old Parsonage said...

Loved this - fun and happy! i'd love to have a piece right now, but I can't move my arms - too much shoveling! Ugh!!!

Hope that you are safe and warm!
Leann

elizabeth said...

What a fun idea!!! Love it.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

That is toooooooooooo fun! Benjamin would love that! I would take one to his class party but we are no longer allowed to bring home made food. Isn't that sad, it has to all be bought from a store.
Cute, cute idea.

Linda O'Connell said...

I must make this for my grandson's birthday. What fun. I laughed aloud about your cat's blatant disregard for your family. You could write a children's story about the cat and the "cat's" cake.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such a great cake and so much fun. It would be a great surprise for someone not expecting those wonderful candies falling out. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the great photos showing how to do it.

Heaven's Walk said...

What a FUN cake, Carol!!! I just loved it!!! Was Chickie surprised?? lol

xoxo laurie

Vee said...

That is a great cake! I should bake one for the boys this week.