Monday, March 17, 2014

On a New Kick

So I joined a FB group all about cast iron cooking last week.


I rarely use the big iron skillet I keep in the kitchen any more.  I wanted more variety of skillets, so I shopped the garage......


....and behold!  3 more!
I dreamed of mounting them on the wall in the kitchen where I could not only admire them and have them handy, but save storage space.


The cabinet door was also picked up in the garage, and scrubbed.


Mister is concerned about the weight on the wall, so the skillets were simply seasoned and tucked away in a drawer.


It became necessary to use them daily.
The apple crisp came out great.


The chili was a crowd pleaser.


I've made the lower cornbread recipe in a skillet before, and I will say it IS the best cornbread I have ever had.  But lately, I'm going with the tweaked gluten free recipe above it.

There's nothing like cooking or baking something in a screaming hot iron skillet!

My sister has even gotten in on it, and she's been texting pictures of her efforts.  Between us both, we've also done chicken, pork chops, eggs, Irish soda bread, and salmon.

You are welcome to join in!  Or just inspire us!

Wishing all of you a wonderful St. Patrick's Day and week,

Carol

8 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I am proud of you for doing this. I want to hear more about it as you go along, Carol!

xo

Sheila

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Carol...
How great you and your sister are trying cast iron cooking. I would love to do this but I have arthritis in my hands and the size pans/skillets I like to use are too heavy for me. I have one smallish cast iron pan and I use it for everything. Hugs and Blessings ...
Barb xxx

elizabeth said...

I got rid of all teflon and only use cast iron now. A well seasoned cast iron skillet is better than any other non stick pan in my opinion.

Cheryl said...

I was recently given an old cast iron skillet and have used it several times. I'd love to have some tips on cast iron cooking! Your dishes look good!

Kathy Moreland said...

I love using iron skillets. They make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich, too! They are heavy though. Your chili looks wonderful.

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

I love my cast iron. I also learned that when you cook eggs in them they give up to three times more iron, which my sons needed since they tested low in iron.
Have fun!!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Carol -- I simply adore my cast iron pieces -- both for cooking and baking!! I forgot about mine for a few years and fell into the trap of more modern cookware BUT the folly in that soon passed and now my grand old pieces are back to daily use -- especially my grandma's skillet which is my favorite! Yours are beauties!!

Blessings!
Gail

The Old Parsonage said...

Yeah for you! I have several of them, but we have a flat top range and can't use them on it.

I miss my gas stove top.

Leann