Saturday, March 29, 2014

Skillet Apple Crisp

I mentioned recently  (http://oursearskithome.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-new-kick.html) that I'm kind of on a new kick....using cast iron for cooking. I shopped the garage and got my 3 other skillets and they now reside in the kitchen.

They are great for stove top use, and oven use.  Or over a fire or on a grill.  I'm making plans!


I made my usual fruit crisp recipe and assembled it into a screaming hot, buttered skillet.
Oh my.


That baby was gone within hours.  Hours, I'm telling you!

It will soon be time to trade out the apples for berries and other seasonal delicacies!

Fruit Crisp Recipe:
1 and 1/2 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Fruit of your choice...3 cups, or eyeball it.
__________________________________________________
I grease an 8x8 pan, put the fruit on the bottom.

Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and throw the other ingredients in, stirring well with a spatula.

Plop the topping on the fruit, evenly distributing it atop the fruit.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, until topping is golden.




And by the way....I am declaring that Spring is here!  I'm looking forward to THIS!

Wishing each of you a wonderful weekend,

Carol

9 comments:

Vee said...

Yummo! I just made two of my skillets little pot holder handle covers for those screaming hot handles.

So it's a done deal. Much easier this way!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, that looks scrumptious!

Save some for me! Oops! You said it was gone!

xo

Sheila

elizabeth said...

Fruit crisps and cobblers and pies are my FAVORITE, especially if they are warm and topped with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream...even better than chocolate in my book!!!

Barbara Neubeck said...

... wow Carol that looks so good.......I like your recipe.... I'd have it warm with ice cream..
Hugs and Blessings..
Barb xxx

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I'd even have this for breakfast! Lovin' your header pic:@)

Janette's Sage/Simply Your Decor said...

We are still having blast of cold and this would so warm the soul during those last blast.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Crisps are one of my very favorite desserts and yours is looking fabulous in your skillet. It would not last a second longer in our home either :)

Heaven's Walk said...

I ADORE fruit crisps, Carol! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's so easy that I think that even I can make it! lol Yes, I think spring is finally here...although it's still chilly outside and we still have snowbanks that need to melt. But I did work outside picking up sticks (around the snowbanks) and decorated my front porch for spring. What a wonderful day.....finally! :)

xxo laurie

Thistle Cove Farm said...

that looks totally tasty and I do enjoy fruit crisps. I've been thinking Pineapple Upside Down Cake and am talking myself into making one in my cast iron. Love the stuff but Dave always wanted that teflon stuff...ugh. that stuff is going to the condo, pronto!