Saturday, March 8, 2014

Thinking Spring

In February, Chickie and I took a day trip to Longwood Gardens.  She had been there more recently than me, but we have gone together through the years, just the two of us, so it's a special place....
(longwoodgardens.org since the links no longer work....)

The living walls were new to me.  Each door opens up into an individual restroom with toilet and sink and mirror.  Kind of cool, curvy little rooms.


The lilies were out in full force.


The spring garden caught my heart.


Arches repeated themselves overhead in the Mediterranean garden.


The ballroom is magnificent and houses the Longwood organ.  Composed of 10,010 pipes divided into 146 ranks, the organ is the largest Aeolian organ ever constructed in a residential setting.,  Pierre du Pont was an organ afficianodo, who had the organ installed in the Conservatory in 1930. (http://longwoodgardens.org/events-and-performances/music-performance-and-theater/our-resident-instruments/longwood-organ)


The "knees" on this bald cypress look like figures of ancient robed peoples to me.  Explanation follows!


And there you have it.
Now some pictures....





I do love old kitchen cabinetry.  The kitchen in the Peirce-du Pont house is no exception.  Complete with a safe for the silver!


The details on the stairway are lovely.



Chickie and I were delighted beyond words to learn about the feline residents at Longwood.  There are about 15 cats, all rescues, and they each have their own territories and cat doors that allow each one into his or her own specific area.  Belin, here, lives in the Peirce-du Pont House.  He spends most of his time sunning in chairs and being petted, for which he doesn't bother to really awaken.  There are blog entries and You Tube videos featuring this fellow.  (http://longwoodgardens.org/sustainability/integrated-pest-management/cats-longwood)


The Chimes Tower and water fall are beautiful.  The chimes' sound keep time.


Beautiful stonework inside the tower.


One just can't stop looking at it.


Chickie was snapping away with her fancy camera.  I kind of just watched and sometimes tried to get the same picture.  Here is one example!

Even though we still have plenty of snow, I have seen anemones blooming, and the birds have been singing up a storm the last few weeks.

Springtime....she approacheth!   Thank God.

7 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Carol! What a treat to visit this beautiful place with you and Chickie! It really is something.

And the kitty.... So cute!

I am glad things appear to be getting better. We have a bit of chill as I write. I hope this isn't traveling north. We have oak pollen everywhere!

xo

Sheila

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

What a nice place to visit! While I've been there, never in winter and the colors and flowers in your pics are gorgeous! Looks like you had a great day:@)

Kathy Moreland said...

What a beautiful place! Love the uniqueness of it!

Linda O'Connell said...

Thank you for this glorious breath of spring and virtual trip to this beautiful place. I know you and your daughter made some long lasting memories.

momstheword said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! Loved the garden pictures with bright flowers.

I miss my garden but I don't miss the work. I had a beautiful garden but it was HUGE!

I would love to have a beautiful garden again but don't want the work. So a few flowers in containers is enough!

Sue said...

What a beautiful place to visit, Carol, thank you for sharing, I am counting the days until spring.
Blessings,
Sue

Barbara Neubeck said...

Thank you for the lovely tour Carol. Beautiful house and gardens......
Hugs and Blessings ...
Barb xxx